In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

223rem loads for pds

hi guys

i found the right place to post. am gonna shoot some prairie dogs
[pds]. will be flying. can only take one gun. a mod-70 heavy varmint.
need a good fast load to make them blow up. can only shoot plastic
tip bullets because the ranchers want no ricochets. have decided on
40gr nos bal tips. am going to tx panhandle. guide says there are
lots of them this year. going last week in may. need a good fast
load for that m-70 hv.

thanks

zb

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here are 18 loads to experiment with since every rifle is different and won't respond the same way to the same loads.

http://www.reloadersnest.com/query_bl.asp?CaliberID=18&Bullet=Nosler Ballistic Tip

Remember to start low and work up watching for signs of pressure.

Best of luck!
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Usually 27.5 - 28.0 grains of W-748 will shoot well under the 40 gr. b-tip bullet. -- 28.0 is listed as a maximum load in Noslers manual so you may want to start lower and see where your particular rifle shows pressure.-- I shoot 27.8 grs of 748 powder with the 40gr. Nosler B-Tip (or the 40 gr. Hornady V-Max bullet ), Winchester, Black Hills or Remington brass, and Winchester SR Primer in two different 223s and this load shoots under 0.5" five shot groups in both rifles (both guns are very accurate heavy bbl Remington VSSFs with 1-12" twists).-- Don't overlook the Hornady V-Max Bullets. They have a slightly ligher jacket than the Nosler and are a little more explosive on small Varmits.-- Accurate 2460 Powder under the 40 grain Hornady loads faster than the W-748 and shoots about the same accuracy. -- With this powder I load 27.0 grs of AA-2460 with the 40gr H. V-Max bullet and the same other components as listed above and it clocks right at 3700 FPS with a 26" bbl. Maximum load is listed at 28.0 grs for the 2460 with 40 gr V-Max in Hornady's manual( listed at 3800 FPS in their test gun) but both of my guns shoot tighter groups loaded slower at 27.0 grs. -- Haven't tried the 2460 powder with the Nosler bullets, just the Hornadys. -- Good luck.....[8D]