In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Powder experts..opinion please

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
I have noticed "surplus" 4895 powder that claims to be newly manufactured. Its price seems right for a 8 pound keg.

Is it the same as canister IMR 4895?

My load is 46gr. IMR 4895 with a 174 gr. Government BT match bullet. I LOVE that load, so does my 06.

Any words of wisdom on this powder?

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My 2 cents, anytime you buy these bulk surplus powders from aftermarket sellers, you have to run your own velocity tests.

Lot of this stuff is "pulldown" powder that has been salvaged from Government surplus ammo. Even if the stuff is sold as "Newly Manufactured", no way would I use it with with IMR 4895 data. I would run comparison tests over a crony between it and the real stuff.

luger_4.jpg
  • deadeye46deadeye46 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    bpost,I've used "surplus" 4831 and had no problems with it,seemed the same as my newer stuff,Bob.
  • ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Couldnt agree with Ruf anymore on what he said. It may be "close" to 4895 but it is not the same. It may have been pulled from differnt lots of powder/ammo also.

As always start low and work your way up over a chrony.
  • PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As with any changes in powder, it is best to start with a starting load and work your way up. I started reloading with gove't surplus powder that was re=packaged by Hodgedon. That was many years ago but I still like to use surplus powder for certain applications. Just be sure to exercise caution.
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    I would be very leery of using any surplus powders with out a full cronograph
    session behind it........Just to many varibles to deal with.

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    drop back 10%, and work back up looking for similar chrono speeds. I would drop back maybe 2.5-3gr and go from there.

remember it is "4895 burn rate" NOT 4895 powder. The burn rate will always vary slightly by lot, no matter who makes it. Military doesn't manufacture it's own powder,..the powder companies do, which means yes it could be 4895 but produced in that bulk, and with the military's built in "tolerance" it could be as much as a few grains either way.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bpost,

4895 is pretty common surplus stuff. Due to the potential for variation I would do like everyone says, start at the bottom loads and work up. If loading .223 you probably won't get overpressures following the manuals. .308 and 30-06 loads are a different story. I would not go below minimum loads listed to work up. That is when you can get forward ignition within the case and cause huge pressure problems. Then work up until you see pressure signs or accuracy falls off. -Good luck

We have the second amendment so that all the rest are secure....UNK>