In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Lee Collet Dies???

DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
I ordered a set of .243 and will be shooting all loads through my Savage bolt-action {same gun/same brass}...Does sizing only the neck really help improve accuracy??? If I have a pretty accurate load now, Will it improve??? or do I have to start over and find a new loading from only sizing the neck????...Has anyone here had good results with these dies?...Or can you get just as good results full-length sizing with the right load????....

Ruric, NE OHIO,

Comments

• rimfire72rimfire72 Member Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are using new brass you first need to fire-form it to your chamber.Neck sizing increases accuracy because the case fits your chamber exactly,and keeps the case in perfect alignment with the bore. Every chamber is different. It also increases case life because the case doesn't have the repeated stress of expanding when fired and contracting when sized. Just keep a check on the OAL of the case between the first few firings,new brass will stretch out some. If you have more than one gun in the same caliber be sure to mark each lot of ammo with what gun it is for. Do not use neck sized cases in any gun but the one it has been formed to.
    When neck sizing only you will have slightly more case capacity(by slightly I mean miniscule) but it shouldn't be enough to affect your load. I've never had to adjust a load. At the most you might have to just tweak it a little.

buycoolshirts_1825_31216154.jpg
  • James AyersJames Ayers Member Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [8D]Yo DIRTYRAT, Just remember-with these Lee Collett dies, you will have to maintain the EXACT SAME die setting and more important, the same "routine" in the press handle operation, ie: the consistant amount of final "pressure" applied to the the same load, same bullet same primer cases-to maintain the best accuracy! Read those Collett instructions and maintain the same routine! The .243 is one accurate cartridge, but you have to play your part-Good luck.[:p][:p][:)][:D] JIMBO

On your mark-get set- go away!!
  • chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    When I had my 22-250 I used the Lee collect die and liked it, NO LUBE and cases lasted for ever. The only thing I found out was that you had to push harder on your press handel than the #40 Lee recomended, Also got good alinment on bullet.

I think their Great[:D]
  • PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own Collet dies in 30/06, 8X57mm, 6.5X55mm and .223. I like them just fine. They do load very accurate ammo when you pay attention to the proper reloading procedures. Cases neck sized do seem to last longer than full length sized brass. As far as accuracy is concerned, I can load just as accurately with full length sized brass as the neck sized only brass. I myself have never been able to see a real edge one way or the other. A load that will shoot 1 moa with neck sized brass will shoot 1 moa with full length sized brass with all things otherwise being equal. As already stated, consistancy and attention to details are the more inportant items where accuracy is concerned.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great dies for the money. By adjusting them more/less you can increase/decrease nk tension as needed. Ammo loaded has low runout as well.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • GaBobGaBob Member Posts: 613 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is a good idea to lube inside of neck with mica or graphite. I have pulled neck off cases with unlubed brass. To get maximum accuracy take a magic marker and make a mark on brass. Orient this mark to 12 o'clock position when chambering round each time. I like Lee Collet dies[:D]

Keep Your Powder Dry

The only criminal class that is native to the United States is congress.
    MARK TWAIN
  • DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They arrived in the mail today..."Let the fun begin"....Thanks for all the info and input guys...I appreciate it!

Ruric, NE OHIO,