In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

back to reloading

reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've been away from reloading for a while but the purchase of a .257 roberts rifle snd a 32-20 revolver got me back into it.A lack of cash and space caused me to settle on lee hand loaders and a powder scale. my question is this the directions for the lee loaders fail to mention lubing the cases , am i correct in assuming this must be done? If any body has any pet loads for these 2 orphan calibers i'd appreciate them

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rule of thumb... Bottleneck cases need lubed. Straight walled pistol cases do not if they are sized in carbide dies.

If you lube the cases keep the lube off the shoulder and lube the inside of the case neck very lightly to ease passage of the expander ball. If in doubt, lube it very lightly stuck cases are a PIA.

Welcome back to reloading!
  • Options
    deadeye46deadeye46 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you plan on not lubing the case,I'd suggest a "stuck case remover" kit to be on your bench,just my .02
  • Options
    reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i know that when my dad and i reloaded we always lubed the cases so it seemed strange when the instructions didn't mention it
  • Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    redneck, if you are talking about the old style lee handloader that is completely manual(which I assume your are) they neck size only and do not need to be lubed. I've have used them in 30/06 and 8X57mm since about 1962 and have never lubed a case when loading with them and have never had a stuck case either. No dies that I know of require lubing when neck sizing only.
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I load a lot of 32-20. My favorite load is 3 gr of Titegroup with a 115gr cast lead bullet.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    reddnek

I use Lyman spray lube very lightly and q-tip the insides of each neck with lube to help prevent case stretch in the .257 Rob.
    My two favorite loads for that rifle are. 41 grs. of 4895 behind an 87 gr. spitzer. Killed a number of mulies and a lot of coyotes and long range jackrabbits with that. My newest favorite load is 42 grs . of Vihtavuori N140 behind a 100 gr. Nosler. That gets 3100 fps out of my little short 20" ultalight barrel. The .257 is my "first favorite rifle" sorry but I don't have anything for the 32-20. -Good luck

We have the second amendment so that all the rest are secure....UNK>