In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

30-30 spire point bullets

dennis53dennis53 Member Posts: 86 ✭✭
Can someone suggest a good spire point bullet to use in my box magazined 30-30?? I've tried the Hornady 3033 BTSP but they seem to extend into the neck too far when I try to meet my OAL.

Thanks,
Dennis53

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dennis,

Without making you read through a long ballistics discussion, very simply, try shooting flat base bullets instead of boat tails. At the operating velocities of the 30-30, flat based bullets perform better. This is not a long range cartridge and it doesn't need the boat tail for aerodynamics and the boat tail just takes up space in the case.

You don't say what you want to do with this so generally speaking take a look at the Speer SP #2023 (inexpensive) or the Nosler Partition #16329 (not inexpensive) in the 150 gr. range. You might want to check the twist rate in the rifle because it could be a 10" or 12" twist.

I was working with some 30-30's a few years ago and discovered to my chagrin that the most accurate loads for 2 rifles and 1-T/C Contender was the factory Remington 170 gr. FP.

Best.
  • Options
    dennis53dennis53 Member Posts: 86 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. I will try the flat base. I like the boattail because it is so easy to start the bullet in the neck. I will also check the twist in my rifle. It is a Stevens 345, I think.

Thanks again.
    Dennis53
  • Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nonesense gave you a very good rundown. I, like him was surprised when I started working up loads for my Savage 99 in .308. After using up a couple pounds of powder or more and trying a good half dozen bullets I finally bought some Remington factory 150 grain flat based bullets that were on sale and wow! With RL15 powder and those bullets the Savage started shooting more like a bolt rifle instead of a lever. Any misses with that load and I have to credit myself, not the rifle or the bullet. I haven't tried it on deer as yet but it is really impressive on wet catalog and water jugs.
  • Options
    DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Savage model 24 .30-.30 over 12 ga. and load Nosler 165 gr. BT and they work extremely well. I shot a deer with it a few years ago and dropped it in its track. Last year I shot a 30 lb. bobcat with the same load and it never moved either. The nice thing is , this is the same bullet I use in my 30-06. [:D]

"They call me Don. Dr. Jason Donald Dalinger."
  • Options
    Mark TMark T Member Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 340 Stevens 30-30. I use 130 gr Hornady Single shot pistol bullets with incredible accuracy. 30 gr of IMR 3031. Sub MOA @100yds are easy. This little rifle shoots as good as my model 70's. It has accounted for lots of venison, 1 is in the NYS record book. Good luck!