In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I ENVY THIS GUYS RELOADING BENCH

ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/466788/an/0/page/0#466788

JustC, you are going to love this setup.

By the way buddy, I have a new toy coming home in a few weeks. [}:)]

Comments

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice load room[8D] He looks like a stockholder in Dillon Precision. I have been expanding my bench and such, but until we move out of town a bit, I can't have my room like that. I plan on being able to shoot from indoors just like that, and have even considered a sound dampening device such as his plastic 55gal drum with egg-crate cushion inside. I was going to try using accoustic tile at foreward angles, but his looks like a lot less work and money, so I may be trying that to see how well it works on muzzle blast.

and what exactly is the new toy??? a 300win by any chance?

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    300Win mag built by GA Precision. It's used with only 500 rounds down the pipe. A-5 McMillan stock, all Badger Ordance metal on the gun. 26" 1:10 with Badger Brake.

The kind gentleman that was selling it through in the custom cut Pelican case with it. My buddy bought the 5-15X Nightforce off it for 1000.00! Also through in the rest of his 30cal bullets.

I found a deal on a NIB NF 5-22 50mm with MLR Reticle for 1220 Shipped!!!! I sent out payment today and she should be coming home in a few weeks because of our 10 day wait.

Here is a pic of her.......

300Win.jpg
  • Options
    agman1999agman1999 Member Posts: 981 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He's a very sick man. I bet Dillon sends him Christmas cards.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ha! If that is sick, I wanna be crazy one day. That is like the ultimate setup.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    nice looking rig. Gotta love that glass on top of her too. Those scopes can really show you the rifles potential.

Got Balistics?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    JustC,

Next time you looking for glass, let me know. I have a guy here in CA that is a dealer for high end optics. NF, Nikon Tacicals, and S&B, US Optics, and Loopy if you want. Pretty good prices.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'll keep that in mind for next time[;)] I just picked up another NXS in 8-32x56 w/R2 reticle in 95% for $1250 and a set of badger ordnance rings and bases for $265. Saved a few $$$ there (gotta do it somewhere,...man I gotta slow down)[:D]

Got Balistics?
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ContacFront
    300Win mag built by GA Precision. It's used with only 500 rounds down the pipe. A-5 McMillan stock, all Badger Ordance metal on the gun. 26" 1:10 with Badger Brake.

The kind gentleman that was selling it through in the custom cut Pelican case with it. My buddy bought the 5-15X Nightforce off it for 1000.00! Also through in the rest of his 30cal bullets.

I found a deal on a NIB NF 5-22 50mm with MLR Reticle for 1220 Shipped!!!! I sent out payment today and she should be coming home in a few weeks because of our 10 day wait.

Here is a pic of her.......

300Win.jpg

music-smiley-005.gif
    I need to go shopping[:D] Nice rig!!!

sniper.gif
    NRA Life Endowment Member

Soquel.gif
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by agman1999
    He's a very sick man. I bet Dillon sends him Christmas cards.

Your not kidding![:D] Thats is a true pipe dream for me.

sniper.gif
    NRA Life Endowment Member

Soquel.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks FrancF,

I can't wait to shoot it.

Scope should be here early next week but my rifle will still be in jail (10 day wait in the Republic of CA)
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's an O.K. set up but I think that this one has much more class...

210602.jpg

I'm sure that lots of you have seen this one before, it belongs to the owner of the AccurateReloading.com website located in UAE. The presses are over on the left and that 'hallway' behind the glass room is a 100 yard shooting tunnel. This is all underground, ventilated and there is even a machine shop (some CNC) for building rifles in the next room. Saeed says that the only real problem that they have is the spiders that want to be in the shooting tunnel. Nobody wants to go down to change the targets!

Justin,

If you plan to build a shooting baffle like the one in the example be very sure that you make time to clean out the foam waffle lining. We've built a couple of these and without cleaning they will have the tendency to catch fire occasionally. Make the foam removable and just take it outside to shake the ejected powder out of it. Watch for muzzle flash also. Pistols in .30 Carbine can really light these things up!

I have seen a long tunnel of tires that was tried as well and that was a mess right from the beginning. Avoid that idea at all cost.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    nononsense,..thanks much for that hint. It may be a few years before I can move out of town limits here, but I do plan on being able to shoot from the load room during rain and snow and cold etc. I would not have ever thought of cleaning the foam, so a fire would have been likely.

do you think 26-30" tubes will burn enough slow powder to keep the powder residue down? I will maybe shoot the 50AE desert eagle with the 10" barrel in there,..but rifles 99% of the time.

Saeed sure has it good doesn't he? I am glad he is that generous with his time and resources. That site is one of my favorite haunts.

Got Balistics?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Justin,

"...do you think 26-30" tubes will burn enough slow powder to keep the powder residue down?"

That all depends on the bullet, barrel length and the composition of the powder. My loads are usually developed towards a full or nearly full case with a bullet seated and all of the propellant burning IN the barrel. This sometimes takes quite a bit of testing since I also want to achieve certain velocities for target shooting or velocities + energy for hunting. It's a matter of balancing different powders with different bullets based on the barrel length.

Fortunately we have existing powders and newer powders that fill each of the niches that I work with, so far. It's rare that I can't find an extremely efficient combination that won't all burn in a barrel and yield the results that I'm trying to achieve. It just takes time.

The Ramshot powders (Western) and VihtaVuori powders are a mainstay but I also use several Accurate Arms powders as well. I'm talking with Norma and waiting to hear the final disposition of distributors for their powders and bullets also.

The Desert Eagle has the potential to light up the tube if you aren't careful with your loads. They generally have quite a bit of muzzle flash just because of their design.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    well I'm burning anything from H110 or N110 on up to H870/retumbo/rl25,...however the slower powders for my magnums are in NO LESS THAN 26" tubes and my LR hunting/match rigs will never be under 28". My blanks that I have sitting and ready to be used are all going to finish at 30" and the 1000yd light gun wears a 30" PacNor with the Vais making an additional 1/2" before the ports. I will be vigilant in my watch for powders.

What do you know so far about the Norma powders and pills? I sure would like to run some MRP and MRP2 next to RL22 and RL25 for comparison.

Also,..how do you feel about Norma's 6.5mm 139gr match FMJ pills? a guy has 8000 for sale for 1/2 price and I figure my 6.5x55AI and 6.5-06AI might like them,...but at 1000 per purchase, I would appreciate some advice from past users. You have any experience with these? They look damn nice and I would like to run them next to the 140gr a-max and the 140 bergers as well as 142gr SMK's I have been testing. Both tubes are 1:8.

Thanks again.

Got Balistics?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Justin,

Longer barrels let us burn slower powders for sure but they also let the plasma cool significantly by the time that it exits. Less wear and tear on the barrel in general and less chance of setting a baffle on fire.

The list of distributors hasn't been released yet and it's my understanding that they are trying to get a super network put together since they are part of a conglomerate now. Several of us have been ordering bullets in large quantities and the shipment is due at the end of the month but powder is still out of the question. My guess is that they are warehousing somewhere in the States (NJ) and when the network is completed, they will ship with some expeditiousness. The complications come with having to buy several lines of product now not just the powder and bullets from Norma.
    Norma, a division of Ruag-Ammotec USA...(RWS/Rottweil/Geco/Norma). Now, since it's Ruag, do you think it would be easy to get the 6x47 Swiss Match in this country? NOPE! And no plans to bring it in yet, either.

That deal on 139 gr. FMJ is a good one to get a piece of if possible. The silver is not moly but another form of metallic 'slickery' coating, nickel alloy supposedly. I'm wondering if it isn't more like zinc... Lapua uses something similar. These bullets have a real good BC of .580 at Standard ICAO. The difference is where the final forming of the jacket occurs, nose (hollowpoint) or tail (FMJ). Technically there shouldn't be a major difference in shooting between the two. The only potential on FMJ's is the upset in the shape of the tail from the plasma since the area is exposed lead. Other than that, I've shot about 100 in this weight and about 2-300 of some other weights in tests. All performed at a reasonably high level of accuracy which sort of surprised me.

I'm working on a new 6.5x55 but coupled with other bullets and weights. So far, so good!

I'm out of MRP but I have enough MRP2 to get me through the summer, then I'm in trouble. Ramshot Magnum, Re-25, V V N-170 and 24N41 are all doing just fine also.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Given a choice,...139gr lapua scenars or 139gr normas?

Got Balistics?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Justin,

The numbers favor the Lapua by a bit and I admit to liking the Lapua if the rifle will shoot them. But I can't think of good reason not to shoot the Norma's because of past, better than expected performance. The kicker here is the price of the discontinued Norma's, very favorable!

I keep a supply of Amax, Lapua, Berger, Norma and Sierra on the bench for the 6.5's because I'm also testing different types of barrels and I don't try to guess which bullets will suit which barrels. I got a new barrel today and I'm expecting a Broughton in a few weeks to test against the Shilen ratchet that is already shooting. The Bergers seem to shoot best in Krieger's with the tighter bore/groove design that John offers for the Palma shooters. Unfortunately, these are limited to .30 caliber only.

Our problem is that we are blessed with several high quality bullets to choose from but in this case the Norma's are awfully tempting...

Good luck with whatever you decide.