In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

HELP!!!! Bullet Diameter

instrumentofwarinstrumentofwar Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
Alright, maybe it's a good thing I havent had a chance to shoot my first rounds yet. If any of you reload 45-70 you will notice that most of the bullets are .458", with a few measuring .457". I used Laser Cast 405 gr bullets and followed the data in Lymans newest manual but the diameter of these bullets is .459". I followed the minimum load data to start off with, but how will this affect the pressure of the load. I have tried to find load data for these specific bullets but I am not having any luck.

Picture024.jpg

Comments

• Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you will be ok, If I recall the bullet Dia. runs + -.002 on cast bullets with some mfg's. I have shot some out of my 45-120-3.25" that have been .459+ the pressure was ok. However I was was shooting mid range loads.

sniper.gif
    NRA Life Endowment Member

Soquel.gif
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cast/swedged lead bullets normaly run .001-.002 over groove diameter, while jacketed are normaly held to groove diameter.

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • Options
    snowtiggersnowtigger Member Posts: 273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Marlin 1895 likes bullets sized to .460. Those sized to .458 tend to keyhole at anything above about 1300 fps. Jacketed bullets? Do they make 'em for the 45/70???

It ain't what you shoot, it's what you hit.
  • Options
    instrumentofwarinstrumentofwar Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the feedback, got back from the range yesterday. SWEET. Great shooting just feels that much better when you roll your own.

Picture024.jpg