In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Load Report .308 win/155 gr A-max

FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
I finally got some time to tweak the load using Varget. For the new reloaders here this is how I got the load with out burning up ammo.
After comparing all of my books Hornady & Sierra had the same max load listed for Varget of 44.9 and the test rifle had the same length barrel as mine. (the other books were much higher in the loads but had shorter test barrels).

Knowing that my accuracy was going to be around near max. I loaded
20 rounds
5@ 43.5 Gr of Varget
5@ 43.8 " "
5@ 44.0 " "
5@ 44.2 " "

As you can see how much a difference .3 grains can make. I hope this helps you when working your loads. The group went from a .780 to a .382 at 100 yards.

308.jpg

sniper.gif
NRA Life Endowment Member

Soquel.gif

Comments

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Is that, that Remington I was drooling over??? If so, when are you having the giveaway?[:p][;)][:)]

Eric

All American Arms Company

www.galleryofguns.com
    VIP Code: AAAC

Veteran Owned and Operated
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Eric that's the one, I have got to get it dialed in. I have been invited buy a group to go to the Nev. desert for a weekend of shooting. This is going to be my chance to try shooting at 1000 yards. One guy is bringing all his class 3 stuff. I will have plenty of pic's when I get back.[:D]

Just hope my nephews father in-law doesn't swipe my ammo to feed his 1919A1[:D]

sniper.gif

Soquel.gif
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like you need to be loading a whloe jag of that recipe and getting ready for some shooting[8D][:p] How far were you from the lands? Primer? Inquiring minds want to know[:D]

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Justin-
    I guessing that I am off the lands between .005-.008 (I am still fussing with that)
    Lapua Brass
    CCI-BR2
    Lee dies
    Lyman turret press.

sniper.gif

Soquel.gif
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice shooting FrancF!

What were the wind conditions?

Did you shoot the 5:30 "flyer" there or do you think it was the load?

Is it worth retrying the 43.5gr group to see if it was a fluke; or is .3gr that critical?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Is it worth retrying the 43.5gr group to see if it was a fluke; or is .3gr that critical?

You made a great point! What I did was a 10 round warm up so I could get comfy[:D] then Shot that first group, went and looked at it. It looked good then I shot the next group knew I was getting close to what I wanted. Then the other 2 sets just opened up.
    So what I am going to do is reload the same but this time I will do it just to confirm the loads.

The wind was blowing about 3-5 mph and had my flags out so that helped a bunch. All in all you are right, .3 may not be that critical for everyday shooting. I feel if I am varminting or Long range target shooting it will make a differance at 300 yards or longer. But that is my own opinion.[8D]

10@ 43.5
    10@ 43.6
    10@ 43.7
    10@ 43.8

My Magic number is in the above load(s)

Forgot to add .3 can be critical with working near max loads!!!!!

sniper.gif

Soquel.gif
  • Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FrancF, nice group. Hope you have a good supply of that Varget. I'd be inclined to get the lot number off the container and go see if I could buy up a large supply of it. I'd do the same on the bullet also. Happy shooting.
  • Options
    ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FracF,

If you dont mind sharing the location of where you guys will be shooting that would be cool. Me and my friends are planning to go out to the desert for a weekend to do some long distance shooting ourselves. Just do not have any idea where to go. Are you by the Reno area?

I will have some steel targets we can shoot out to 1K
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ContacFront- If I recall your up in Sac? I am down in Santa Cruz.
    As for the desart, I have no clue. The best I have been able to get for a location is the Nev. Dry lake beds. Seems on the week ends people (I think pick a few square miles) and play[:D] Ie; find whats around them, make camp and watch the boundrys, but don't know this is my first time out in that neck of the woods.

Scorpions and rattle snakes joy [:D] think the dirt bikes are also on the agenda.

edit for my crappy k-ord[:D]

sniper.gif

Soquel.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yup I am in the Sac area. Well let me know how that desert deal goes. Buddy has some big toys he wants to shoot out past 1K so we may make a trip up there soon to find a spot. [}:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yup I am in the Sac area. Well let me know how that desert deal goes. Buddy has some big toys he wants to shoot out past 1K so we may make a trip up there soon to find a spot. [}:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FrancF
    Justin-
    I guessing that I am off the lands between .05-.08 (I am still fussing with that)
    Lapua Brass
    CCI-BR2
    Lee dies
    Lyman turret press.

sniper.gif

Soquel.gif

Wow...that's quite a bit of jump. Have you experimented with any loads closer to the lands...might even tighten up some more.?.?

Eric

www.galleryofguns.com

• Options
    edited November -1
    oops that should be .005-.008 a sixteenth would be a bit much[:D]

sniper.gif

Soquel.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FrancF
    oops that should be .005-.008 a sixteenth would be a bit much[:D]

sniper.gif

Soquel.gif

[:D]Oh...that makes much more sense! I thought you might have some kind of Weird Ball Weatherby for a minute there. I just loaded up some more trial and error loads for the .243. I took two of my best loads so far and I'm playing with the seating depth. I went from .005-.002-.006 and last but not least .01. The .002 was too close to the lands...my groups opened up. Now, I'm going to see what happens when I back them up a little bit.

Once you get that 40X set up right, let me know...I'll send you my shipping address[:p][:D][;)]

Eric

www.galleryofguns.com

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have posted my theory on that "at the lands" method before and I am still working on proving it. It is where I start so that I can set my dies and also to keep track or erosion as well as record the measurement of the case head to the ogive. That allows me to adjust for any new bullet without re-measuring distance to the lands.

The way I see it, most non-custom bullets will have variances in bearing surface length moreso than custom bullets. This will cause some to be slightly off the lands, and some to be slighty into the lands and still some will be at the lands. This makes for pressure variations which will in turn directly affect POI. I think one needs to either be enough off the lands so than NO bearing surface of any bullet touches, or they need to be far enough INTO the lands for all the bullets bearing surface to be touching. This should uniform the pressures and control POI more tightly. YMMV

Got Balistics?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    I have posted my theory on that "at the lands" method before and I am still working on proving it. It is where I start so that I can set my dies and also to keep track or erosion as well as record the measurement of the case head to the ogive. That allows me to adjust for any new bullet without re-measuring distance to the lands.

The way I see it, most non-custom bullets will have variances in bearing surface length moreso than custom bullets. This will cause some to be slightly off the lands, and some to be slighty into the lands and still some will be at the lands. This makes for pressure variations which will in turn directly affect POI. I think one needs to either be enough off the lands so than NO bearing surface of any bullet touches, or they need to be far enough INTO the lands for all the bullets bearing surface to be touching. This should uniform the pressures and control POI more tightly. YMMV

Got Balistics?

JustC...I've never seated them into the lands. How much do you generally reduce the powder charge when trying this?...as a safe starting point. Have you found that most published max loads are still safe when touching the lands? Thanks.

Eric

www.galleryofguns.com

• Options
    edited November -1
    Max loads depend greatly on the chamber itself. I have found that in my match rifles, I can not get near the charges in the books or that others have loaded in factory rifles due to the tighter chamber and shorter throat on match reamers. Also,..unless you are throating for a specific heavy pill, then when using these long VLD and high BC pills, you may have to reduce charges as well due to the throat not being long enough, and therefore the pill has to be seated deeper, which in turn REDUCES internal capacity, and therefore, INCREASES pressure.

Now, take a look in your load manuals (nosler and sierra specificaly) and notice the barrels they used in load work. These are all match barrels,..but probably cut with a SAAMI reamer to be slightly larger than match specs. I beleive that that is why I can't reach their charges with my barrels, but a FACTORY rifle will quite often take MORE powder than they show before it reaches a true "max load". The chamber and throat length will dictate a max load, the books are giving a charge range at which you need to start paying attention and looking for signs of pressure.

as for "in the lands" goes,..it is basically the same as "at the lands" because as soon as those bullets start to move, they are instantly in contact with the lands anyway. You may see a 5% decrease in charge necessary, but I would have to run more tests on my own equipment to say for sure. I KNOW that quite a few 1k BR guys seat their VLD pills into the lands by up to .020" because they stabilize better that way. Yes, the charge will be slightly less,..but 50fps won't matter much. Remember, you can get higher MV by giving the bullet a healthy jump to the lands (the weatherby freebore theory) than by seating it out to the lands. The pressure curve is what is changed, not necessarily the pressure PSI (this is theory, and my disclaimer applies here [8]). When the bullet is stopped by the lands immediatly rather than moving some .050-.100" or more as the powder is ignited, and therefore internal capacity is INCREASED PRIOR TO the bullet making land contact, the pressure will build FASTER but not always to a high enough pressure to blow the action. This is a sharper pressure curve which spikes initially instead of more gradually as the pill is in motion. Care must be taken to start a few grains back and work back up, and I suggest the use of a chronograph to tell you when you have reached the same pressure as your "at the lands" or "off the lands" load. This will be evident when the MV matches.

As I say, this is something that I am still trying to definitively prove to myself across more than 1 rifle. But hey,..I flattened some primers in the 222rem this afternoon, so what do I know[:D]

Got Balistics?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    Max loads depend greatly on the chamber itself. I have found that in my match rifles, I can not get near the charges in the books or that others have loaded in factory rifles due to the tighter chamber and shorter throat on match reamers. Also,..unless you are throating for a specific heavy pill, then when using these long VLD and high BC pills, you may have to reduce charges as well due to the throat not being long enough, and therefore the pill has to be seated deeper, which in turn REDUCES internal capacity, and therefore, INCREASES pressure.

Now, take a look in your load manuals (nosler and sierra specificaly) and notice the barrels they used in load work. These are all match barrels,..but probably cut with a SAAMI reamer to be slightly larger than match specs. I beleive that that is why I can't reach their charges with my barrels, but a FACTORY rifle will quite often take MORE powder than they show before it reaches a true "max load". The chamber and throat length will dictate a max load, the books are giving a charge range at which you need to start paying attention and looking for signs of pressure.

as for "in the lands" goes,..it is basically the same as "at the lands" because as soon as those bullets start to move, they are instantly in contact with the lands anyway. You may see a 5% decrease in charge necessary, but I would have to run more tests on my own equipment to say for sure. I KNOW that quite a few 1k BR guys seat their VLD pills into the lands by up to .020" because they stabilize better that way. Yes, the charge will be slightly less,..but 50fps won't matter much. Remember, you can get higher MV by giving the bullet a healthy jump to the lands (the weatherby freebore theory) than by seating it out to the lands. The pressure curve is what is changed, not necessarily the pressure PSI (this is theory, and my disclaimer applies here [8]). When the bullet is stopped by the lands immediatly rather than moving some .050-.100" or more as the powder is ignited, and therefore internal capacity is INCREASED PRIOR TO the bullet making land contact, the pressure will build FASTER but not always to a high enough pressure to blow the action. This is a sharper pressure curve which spikes initially instead of more gradually as the pill is in motion. Care must be taken to start a few grains back and work back up, and I suggest the use of a chronograph to tell you when you have reached the same pressure as your "at the lands" or "off the lands" load. This will be evident when the MV matches.

As I say, this is something that I am still trying to definitively prove to myself across more than 1 rifle. But hey,..I flattened some primers in the 222rem this afternoon, so what do I know[:D]

Got Balistics?

Ok...thanks for the info...Here's another question (just in case you are not busy enough)... I know that quite a few 1000 yard guys seat into the lands, but how exactly do they do that? Does the bolt force the pill up into the lands, when chambering the round? Does this make it hard to close the bolt?

Eric

www.galleryofguns.com

• Options
    jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D]Yo JustC, This last friday I took my Rem 700 BDL (bull) ,Leop. scope at 12x and shot my best 3-shot at 100 yds .527 inch. with 20.9 gr,s of IMR 4198 and the .223 COL is 1.755/AOL 2.315-I didn't measure, but I think it's about .015" off the lands.I also took my Weatherby Vanguard VGX 30-06 with the best (military 150 gr) 1.330" gr in 3-shot-100yds. This coming weekend I will be loading both my .243/30-06 VGX's with IMR 4831, so I'll see if I can get the -06 under an inch and the .243 down to .5" or better. I think a lot of practice will improve my accuracy, I've been shooting Pistol for so long -Good day[:D][:D][:D][:D]

I'm only wearing Black untill they make something darker
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    AAAAhhhh.....the sheer joy of shooting out in Nevada. I had 75 miles of desert for a backyard when I was growing up. Build a few target stands throw them in the back of the truck and viola!, you have any range you want to shoot from.

I had to do a little t/s with my .308 and the 168 gr. A-Max's I figured it out that it was the shooters technique behind the scope. I couldn't adjust the paralax out and kept coming down behind the scope differently. Once I really started focusing on coming down right each time the groups shriveled down to 1.4" @300 yds. I was using 42 gr. of Reloader 15 and 42 gr. of 4895. The 4895 is closer to max pressure than the RE 15. I was getting about the same accuracy with both. -Have fun out shooting!

We have the second amendment so that all the rest are secure....UNK>
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Eric,..the boltface and the ejector plunger spring will push the case until the shoulder meets the chamber or the bullet is pressed into the rifling hard, or the locking lugs can rotate into position. Now, I lighten my ejector plunger springs so that the case is NOT held slightly away from the boltface or held under pressure from one side by the ejector plunger and it's spring, causing misalignment That being said, I size only 3/4 or so of the neck and leave a thicker portion to help center the neck in the chamber, and the NK sizing will after a few firings make the cases headspace perfectly on the shoulder. That now uniforms the casehead to shoulder relationship, and the bullet seating becomes the issue. You know you have a good headspace situation with fireformed brass, so you can be sure of your measurements to the ogive from the casehead when you seat AT the lands using whatever OAL tool you have (I prefer the sinclair because it uses a case FIRED IN YOUR RIFLE). Now you have recorded your casehead to ogive measurement using your calipers and comparator so you know that measurement at the ogive of ANY bullet will be at the lands in your rifle. Now, if you seat out say .010-.020" into the lands, you will feel that pressure as you rotate the lugs and that firing pin is compressed and the sear engage and the bullet jacket is being scarred by the rifling. This now creates an even greater tension as it pushes rearward on your bullet while the boltface is pushing foreward. At this point it may be hard to extract the round without firing it as the rifling has a bite on the bullet. This is where rem 700's have the Sako extractor installed. It makes for a tight fit, but for strict accuracy and match work, you're not going to eject that round anyway. Once it goes in,..it's either a sighter or a record shot, so no worry about leaving it in the rifling and dumping the powder charge inside the action. I don't use it unless I am single feeding the rounds from the bench sush as LR hunting or a match and I have not settled on any into the lands yet. I may try is some though, the Clinch River pills and the Berger VLD's may benefit from it. Time will tell. Just watch the "at the lands" method for those funky fliers every now and then. I am convinced it is seating depth fluctuations and bearing surface differences. Unless you sort your bullets by bearing surface lengths in each lot (need to buy 1000 or more from the same lot to do so) then this is probably more involved than you will want to get,..so the next way of trimming some of the variable is to seat either a bit away from or a bit into the lands to eliminate that variance. At least this is my current logic.[8D]

Jim, run some 165gr pills and 4350 through that 06', that will get her down under 1moa.

Got Balistics?