In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Question of reloading data

jb6884jb6884 Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
I'm new to reloading, and I am having difficulty finding load data for a specific bullet. I have Remington FMJ 115 gr. round nose bullets (RB9MM3). In my Lyman 48th ed. manual, it doesn't list this bullet specifically, but it does have a 115 gr FMJ hollow point. Can I use load data from another style/brand of bullet if it's the same weight? I would assume that the OAL would be different between a hollow point and a round nose correct? BTW, I'm using Win231 powder.

Comments

• Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    assuming you are talking about a 9x19, 9mm para, or 9mm luger... My data shows 5.0 grains of 231 as max charge at 1.135" OAL. Another source lists 4.8 grains max at 1.095" OAL

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bullets of the same weight may not have the same bearing surface and diameters can vary slightly. Therefore pressures can be different.

As long as you don't start with max charges you will be OK. The OAL should be about the same with two different HP bullets.

I would start around 4.3 gr in a 9MM Para. and look for pressure signs and accuracy.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    As a rule you shouldn't use a different bullet than the data called for, just to many varibles to deal with.
    I'm not saying you can't do what your asking, just be really careful with length
    and do not go over the recommened charges. Start on the lower side and check to be sure it's safe to continue.

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.
  • Options
    haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    Here is the chart directly from Winchester for the 9mm Luger http://www.winchester.com/pdf/CatalogPDF/page25.pdf It starting load is 4.4 grains, with a maximum of 4.9 grains. I load all my pistol calibers with W231, and like it. It is very good in a progressive loader due to its properties. I have weighed 50 charges in a row, and there was no difference.
  • Options
    jb6884jb6884 Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I called Sierra and asked them (since they offer free loading data pertaining to all bullets, not just theirs). They said I could use the Lyman data for the 115gr. hollow point, but start low. For win231, it says something like 3.5 or 3.6 grains as a starting point. Now, the winchester data given above says 4.4 grains. I guess what I don't get is if we measure things to the fraction of grains, and to the thousandths of an inch - why does it seem like you have so much room to "play"?
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jb6884
    I called Sierra and asked them (since they offer free loading data pertaining to all bullets, not just theirs). They said I could use the Lyman data for the 115gr. hollow point, but start low. For win231, it says something like 3.5 or 3.6 grains as a starting point. Now, the winchester data given above says 4.4 grains. I guess what I don't get is if we measure things to the fraction of grains, and to the thousandths of an inch - why does it seem like you have so much room to "play"?

As I always stress to new reloaders, its best to have as many sources (Books) for load data as possible.

I have found that one book near max load may be a starting point in another. Also
    Another thing to look at is the firearm used in testing of the load data. If I start with a new load or bullet type, most often you will find me with a pile of reload books comparing the Min's & Max's and 9 times out of ten you will find that 2 books will agree with each other
    and 4 others have higher start points.

sniper.gif
    NRA Life Endowment Member

Soquel.gif
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    FrancF is EXACTLY right. Just finished loading 200 rounds for a 44 magnum...there is a LOT of difference between several leading books.