In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Problems with Hodgdon's TiteGroup

rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
Found a open container of TiteGroup, that I bought years ago.

Decided to reload some ammo with it, as I have run out of AA 2. It dawned on me really quickly, why I never finished the bottle way back when. It doesn't measure uniformly. From my powder measure there is a variance of as much as .3+ grains. Never had that problem with AA 2. It can be relyed on to maintain .1 or less. I guess it has something to do with the shape, density & weight of the individual grains of powder.

As I recall years ago I had a similar problem with Green Dot. The story I heard back them was that these types of powders were made originally for shotgun use, where plus or minus .3+ grains is no big thing.

luger_4.jpg

Comments

• Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I have used a lot of Titegroup in 45 Colt and 32-20. These are not super accurate guns, so I have not noticed a problem.
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    I have the same problem with Unique in charges under 5 grains, once teh chareg gets bigger, the inconsistancies go away. The flakes are just too big. In the same burn rate area as tite group, I went to solo 1000, meters within .05 grains, and is super clean.

• Options
    haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    That is the exact reason I use Winchester W231. Even with a charge as small as 1.5 grains it still measures out uniformly in my progressive press. I have had the same problems with the other powders listed. Try the W231 if you want to see uniformity, as well as clean burning, and stability at high and low temperatures.