In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

reloading bench size

reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm planning on building a reloading bench in the near future.Space is limited. I have found a corner that will give me 44" long by 36" deep will this be adequate?? Shelves above for storage.

Comments

• Options
    bsallybsally Member Posts: 3,165
    edited November -1
    Mine is smaller than that. Will be fine.

SALLY
    Committee member-Ducks Unlimited
  • Options
    knucklehead14knucklehead14 Member Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look at the pic of my bench in the (pics of reloading bench topic)
    That is very close to what my dimensions are. It may give you an Idea of how you want to set up your bench.

Bad spellers of the world

"UNTIE!"
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 6' long bench now, and within a week, the SECOND 6' section will be added. I load a lot of calibers and load match spec ammo, so I probably have much more equipment than most, but YOU CAN'T MAKE IT TOO BIG. Storage and room to space out different ammunition/components makes for a much better operation. Brass, powder, pills, and primers take up a lot of room by themselves.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D]Yo reddnek, actually 36" by 36" is big enough----But you have to put only ESSENTIALS within reach! Otherwise pretty soon that bench is STACKED with "everything" so just be Frugal[xx(][xx(][:p][:D]

I'm only wearing Black untill they make something darker
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You did not say if you already own reloading equipment or not. If you do you can take the time to make several mock ups to best identify where to put different things on the bench to make the ergonomics the most efficient for what your doing. I agree with the above post that you can never have too much space but you can also be very functional in smaller spaces if you plan it out well.

R/

Dave
    th_bigclay.bmp
    People everywhere confuse what they read in newspapers with news.

-- A. J. Liebling
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    I currently have one that is 30" x 8 feet. It is too small. The new one is going to be 30" or so by 12' I had 5 different presses set up on the old one at one time.

• Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Might give ya an idea of what I did. I made mine portable and its strong!
    a Black&Decker workmate 225, I do have a table top that fits in the back of the press for my scale etc. and I ts compact enough to take out in the field for that "great varmint day"
    P1010446.jpg

sniper.gif
    NRA Life Endowment Member

Soquel.gif
  • Options
    reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dave W
    I havent purchased loading tools as yet,still using Lee Handloaders fo my .257 roberts and .32-20. I just need enough room for the press and powder measure plus work space.I plan on putting shelves and a bathroom type medicene cabinet on the wall for supplies
  • Options
    DEG305DEG305 Member Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My bench is 48" by 24" with shelves in the back. I've got three presses set up perm. a rockchucker and two small Lee's along with a trimmer and a powder measure thats set up on one of the Lee's. I've got about 25 different rifle and pistole dies along with scales,primer pocket reamers, etc. all my manuals. it all fits but I keep my powder and brass(1000's) in a separate cabenet. All this and I'm not the most organized person on the block but it works for me.[:)]

Dewayne E. Geer,NRA life member, AF&AM_Knights Templer,York Rite Mason,623 Midland TEXAS
  • Options
    ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My bench runs the length of the garage and has an island and I am still cramping for space. =) JustC is correct when he said you can NEVER have too much storage space. You will start to collect more STUFF than you can imagine if you start loading match grade ammo, or if you load in bulk.