In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need some help, starting out reloading

Hello everyone, i am looking at buying a reloading kit probably a rcbs...how much am i looking at...i think it will be spending around 250 on the kit, which one should i look for? I have reloaded before but i don't have my own stuff and wanted to know what all i need...I will be reloading 6mm rem. , .308 win., .223 rem. , and .35 rem....so i will need those dies, it doesn't look like the kit comes with a brass trimmer,or micrometer to measure things, so what all do i need in addition to the kit, and powder, primers, etc...thanks in advance! oh by the way could someone give me an estimate of what it would cost also thanks again

Comments

• Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Reloader Special-5T Press
    The latest in our popular line of Reloader Special presses. Featuring a more comfortable ball handle and a primer arm that lets you prime cases at the same time you resize.

* Compound leverage system
    * Solid aluminum block "O" frame, offset for unobstructed access
    * Corrosion-resistant baked-powder finish
    * Spent primers eject through side of ram into catcher
    * Easily upgraded to progressive reloading with an optional Piggyback II conversion unit
    * 1-1/4" x 12 thread for shotshell die kits and Piggyback II
    * 7/8" x 14 thread adapter for all standard reloading dies and accessories

09285 Reloader Special-5 Press
    86881 Dust Cover

Reloading Starter Kit
    This is one of the truly remarkable values in reloading. It has everything you need to get started reloading rifle and pistol (except dies and shell holders), and is easily upgraded to progressive operation with the optional Piggyback II conversion unit. For "upscale" reloading at an affordable price, this kit can't be beat. The RCBS Reloading Starter Kit includes:

* Reloader Special-5 Press
    * 5-0-5 Scale
    * Case Loading Block
    * Case Lube Kit
    * Primer Tray-2
    * Powder Funnel
    * Deburring Tool
    * Speer Reloading Manual #13
    09045 Reloading Starter Kit

Now get a ton of reload books [:D] Lyman, sierra, nosler, hornady.
    get Lee Hand primer, Dies of your choice. Rcbs, redding, lyman

Primer pocket cleaner, Powder mesure.<
    if not included

sniper.gif
    NRA Life Endowment Member

Soquel.gif
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    RockChucker Supreme - have seen them on sale...last month...for 229 at Midway.

Dies - $26
    Case trimmer - $75 for manual trimmer
    Caliper - $20 for dial or digital
    Powder - start off buying one pound..until you find what your rifle/pistol likes.
    Buy SEVERAL reloading manuals...no two are the same.
  • Options
    ThrockmortonThrockmorton Member Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bullet puller! ;)

Throckmorton SASS #23149
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    all,

Doesn't the Rockchucker(and Supreme) come with a trimmer? Mine did years ago. I don't know why they wouldn't now.

We have the second amendment so that all the rest are secure....UNK>
  • Options
    D.K.D.K. Member Posts: 291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never see it mentioned, but I have a Lyman Orange Crush press,
    and after using it two years I'm convinced it is the heaviest duty
    of the mid-priced units. Takes the H&H lengths easier too!

It's one heavy *. Mine came as a kit and had all the basics for reloading, including a set of .280 Remington dies.

Any one else use one?
  • Options
    hr223shooter07hr223shooter07 Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Okay...i was leaning towards the rcbs kit before but looking at the kit mentioned...about how much am i looking for at this kits? around $200-$250?.., in addition to that what else do i need besides reloading components?...im still a little bit confused...lol...case trimmer? micrometer?...sorry...i heard a ton of stuff...but im not sure what comes with it and what extra i will need to buy...oh...btw does the shell holder come with the dies or is that extra? Sorry for asking again...just needed clarifying...thank-you!
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got all new equipment last year and started with the RCBS supreme kit. It is a good place to start. Yes you will need a caliper, Cabelas sells a good one with their name on it for about $20. You will eventually need a trimmer. Most brass grows as it is used. You should be able to get by without for a while, especially if you are just neck sizing. A tumbler is a good way to clean your brass. As others stated it is a good idea to have more than 1 book. The Speer book that comes in the kit is good, but conservative. Again as mentioned, a bullet puller- mistakes happen.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:btw does the shell holder come with the dies or is that extra

For a few extra bucks, You can buy a compleat set of shell holders. This will cover all commercial rounds, and it will take all the guess work out of it.

Case trimmer- A must have! every time you shoot, the brass will grow in length, Thats why you need calipers to mesure your brass and OAL.

sniper.gif

Soquel.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If I get some time tomorrow I will put together a shopping list for ya of "Must haves" Nothing fancy,

[:D][:D] can't wait to spend your money [:D] kidding-

sniper.gif

Soquel.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    FrancF, thanks...im looking forward to that list [:)]....thank you in advance...
  • Options
    deadeye46deadeye46 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    223 shooter,before you purchase anything,I would suggest looking at a Lyman outfit,they come with press,powder scales,powder measure,lube pad with lube,trimmer with all pilots,deburring tool,and manual,and a few other goodies,just my .02
  • Options
    wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    Hey Franc,
    I hope you're gonna post that shopping list on the forum, I'm kinda in the same boat as 223shooter. I'm not ready to start reloading yet , but am leaning HEAVILY in that direction. I just have to "create some space" first. Thanx!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK here is your list You decide what brand type of tool etc. This is just a list of must have basic tools. However it is a compleat setup. I left out brand types and cost(the links are just for ref.) If you buy a reload kit, just see what they have left out on this list. Hope this helps. Sounds like a ton of stuff but trust me there are tons more tools.

For got to add- also look for case prep kits too!!!

Press single stage or turret
    Dies
    Universal shell holder kit (optional,Recomend)
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=786187
    Powder Scale (get a beam scale for now)
    Powder Measure
    Powder trickler (helps if you find your charges are getting thrown short)
    Powder funnel
    Hand priming tool (this will make life easy) http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=807875
    Shell holders for your priming tool
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=566058
    Deburring/Chamfer tool
    Primer pocket cleaner
    Loading blocks
    Case lube pad/ or spray on case lube (I like the spray on myself)
    Calipers (please don't buy the plastic ones! JUNK!)
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=604242
    Tumbler http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=711534
    Tumbler media (corn cobb)
    Case trimmer (this you will need soon after a few loadings. Tere are a bazillion kinds to chose from. but do get one)
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=269638

**Extras- But not nessary**
    Primer Pocket Uniformer
    Flash Hole Uniformer Tool

sniper.gif

Soquel.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks FrancF, that helped me out alot!...Will i need the case tumbler right away? that seemed pretty costly right yet...i was looking to buy a kit for around 230-250 and then buy the trimmer and caliper and then dies and shell holder...then go from there...thanks!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No, don't need the tumbler right away, you will need one soon, Take a look at the auctions bet you can get one cheap.

sniper.gif

Soquel.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Oops forgot to add, If anything you will need the Calipers. You will need to check bullet seat depth and brass lenght.

sniper.gif

Soquel.gif
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1