In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Do I need a Ballistics "Program" ?

....or is there a free, downloadable, USER FRIENDLY, one available. One where I can plug-in all the variables ( barrell length, bullet type/weight, powder type and weight, primer) and it will calculate the velocities, energies and bullet trajectories, for me?
OR
Am I asking for a sandwich they don't make?
Would also like to know if there is a comprehensive list of bullet S.D.'s and B.C.'s, that are not restricted to one or two BRANDS of pill?
I'm anxious to hear replies from the real experts, THANX!

Comments

• Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    this one works well.
    http://ballistics.ntinnovations.com/Default.aspx

sniper.gif
    NRA Life Endowment Member

Soquel.gif
  • Options
    wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    FrancF, thanx! I will give it a try
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If you register it will save your loads. It's great for comparing loads down the road. I have a few on there.

sniper.gif

Soquel.gif
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    External balistics programs are fairly common, however the Internal balistics programs (the powder barrel length primer portion) are not very common and the results are highly suspect, even the best "pay" programs (LoadTech, LFAD, QuickLoad, AccuLoad etc) often return questionable selections (one says that a 3250fps 150gr 30-06 load is safely dooable),

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • Options
    SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the Sierra Infinity for an exterior ballistics program and really enjoy using it, easy to use and tons of variables to insert if you like.( wind, humidity, temp.)I think it's only about $30 or so.[;)]
    An interesting note for all of you that live and shoot at low elevation, try changing the altitude on your ballistics program and see the effects it has. The range I shoot at is at 6,300 feet above sea level, lots of my hunting is between 9,000 and up to 13,600 feet elevation ( for my Mtn Goat hunt ) so it's interesting to run the program with those numbers. This fall I'm headed to Alaska to hunt at 200-300' above sea level and when I run the program comparing my sight in at 6,300' and my point of impact at 200' above sea level the change is only about 3/8" at 100 yards but is still interesting to me to be able to play with this.
  • Options
    SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh by the way what Tailgunner said is very important, I personally would never trust info gleaned from a source other than my own readings. If it were me I would chronograph your own loads in your gun then plug that velocity and bullet info into an Exterior Ballistics program. To get real world results then go out and shoot to prove to yourself that it is as it appears to be.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.eskimo.com/~jbm/calculations/calculations.html

free and accurate[;)] All variables can be entered as well (humidity, temp, elevation, azimuth angle, target angle, target speed, wind speed, Ballistic Coefficient, projectile weight, muzzle velocity etc etc etc) also will calculate in Mils, MOA, and Inches.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is some freeware internal and external ballistics download:

http://www.jacksonrifles.com/ballistics.htm

Read this site carefully and download the files.

Here is a fairly complete list of Ballistic Coefficient numbers:

http://www.steyrscout.org/bcmain.htm

Do you NEED a ballistics program?

No, you can work from manuals and chronographs like we always have in order to determine what loads are safe and work best in our firearms. There is also an abundance of information on the web when you learn how to access it. Sites like this one can be a great help as well. Thank you Admin!

Tailgunner points out rightly that the external programs are readily available but that the internal ones are a little scarce. External ones take your information and convert it into charts and graphs, with very little liability. Internal programs are scarce for a good reason, not everyone is capable of running them safely. If they are published on the web, everyone has access to them and that would create big problems as far as liability is concerned, even with a disclaimer.

The basic problem with Internal Ballistic programs is summed up by the phrase that we all used when we began in computers; "Garbage in, Garbage out". If you input bad or low quality information into a calculating program, you will get bad or wrong information out. Here is where I disagree with Tailgunner's assessment, no offense meant.

These programs are not like computer or video gaming, they are not just plug and play. You as the operator need to have significant information regarding ballistics, smokeless powder, case sizes and capacities as well as about a dozen factors of compatibility when running information through the calculations. Small errors in input can lead to larger, more magnified errors in the end result. These programs always state right at the top that they are for the very advanced reloader and they mean this in all sincerity. Beginners will generate bad information because they don't have enough experience or knowledge. This isn't a condemnation, just learn more and practice more before using the information to load then check your computations with good manuals.

Most of these programs use fixed functions to solve equations so they invariably will give lower quality data when subjected to extremes. The biggest gripe is when you try to compute for an extreme cartridge; one with a large case capacity and small diameter bullets. The program doesn't do these as accurately as with the more average capacities and bullets. However, on the best program, this database can be manipulated in the program by the owner so that the data predictions will be closer to real life. This is definitely NOT recommended for the beginner at all! I don't do it because I've found other ways to adjust the output so that it mirrors actual results closely without changing the database. Another drawback is with extreme high velocities, they are under-reported by the program.

Get some experience then buy a good program to work with. Check your answers against published information to start, before moving into the world of extrapolation.

Sectional Density is calculated by using a bullet's weight in pounds divided by the bullet's diameter squared in inches. It is essentially a meaningless number that exists because it can be calculated. It is supposed to tell us which bullets penetrate better. Do a search and read the explanation of S.D. and see if it really makes sense. Make sure that you look at the bullets used in examples. Rant off.

Best of luck!
  • Options
    wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    Okay, grreat!!!
    Now all you "techno-weanies" gave me a permanent headache, I'm selling all my guns and going back to "shooting" pool!!

Seriously, thanx, once again, for great info!
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nononsense

Here is where I disagree with Tailgunner's assessment, no offense meant.

None taken, Sir. We have to much respect for each other for me to have taken any offense.
    The example I used was returned by using a program "standard" 30-06 case, and a 150gr NBT slug from a 25" generic barrel. The powder given as returning the highest velocity, while ideal in 308Win size cases, is generaly considered to fast for the larger -06 case. I pointed out this "discrepency", above, as a illistration of the potential for problems (GIGO?). Keeping all the other paramiters the same, it showed the Max for another powder as being 2gr less than Noslers manual but with the same velocity (+/- 10fps) as the Nosler manual.

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    As the other guys have pointed out, The one I gave you (and I should have said it) It gives you a "Ballpark" figure at best for bullet drop, drift etc. You got to Chrony your loads to know the best.

sniper.gif

Soquel.gif
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    chrono them, then run external chart, then double check the chart and make notes as to how much off the chart is at all distances, then change the Ballistic Coefficient in the chart and recalculate until the new chart drops match the Real World notes you made on the first chart. That will get you a dependable dope log. That's what I call the "quick and dirty" [}:)][;)] You know the MV is correct, you know the bullet weight is correct, and all other data is correct (or very close as to humidity, elevation, etc),..therfore the only variable is the Ballistic Coefficient variable.

Now, we know BC changes as velocity changes, but when changing the BC data in your table and recalculating, you will see that the closer distances are not affected anywhere near as much as the farther distances, trajectory wise, on the drop chart. So, I take the chart which will accurately depict the longer ranges, and the very small error out to say 300yds is more than acceptable. If you want to work out to 700yds,..then I would adjust the BC until the 600 and 700yd drop figures were spot on with the real world hits on paper, and use that chart for everything out to that distance.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?