In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Powder Proximity to furnace

I have a gun room/furnace room. The furnace is behind two bifold louvered doors. I am thinking about putting a reloading bench on the opposite wall.(Ten Feet Away) Any tips?

SD

Comments

• Options
    rimfire72rimfire72 Member Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just store the powder under your bench. If its ten feet away from the furnace door you wont have any problems. (Unless your furnace catches on fire,but hopefully that will never happen.)Also I have a fire extinguisher mounted in my loading room and recommend every reloader have one just in case. Less than $20 at Lowe's,thats cheap insurance.

buycoolshirts_1825_31216154.jpg
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    The cooler and dryer, the better it will keep.

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.
  • Options
    RadCatRadCat Member Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree. Stock your powder and primers elsewhere in a "dry cool place" as suggested by the manufacturers. Bring out the powder you are using when needed only, and put back in "storage" after use.

You shouldn't have any problem and will actually keep yourself warm while loading on those long cold winter nights, when there is nothing better to do.[:D][:D][:D][8D][8D]

BlckhrnBlckhrn Member Posts: 5,136
    edited November -1
    I might add a couple layers of drywall, 5/8", both sides of the wall.

york.bmp"No taxation without representation, Join the NRA"
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What's the normal temp in your furnace room? Mine stays pretty cool up here in MN as it's downstairs in a split level.
    I can't set up there because wife and daughters put cat box in there.....eeeww! So, I'm out in the garage.....very cold and dry in the winter!

We have the second amendment so that all the rest are secure....UNK>
  • Options
    shooterusashooterusa Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My furnace is in the same room as the soon-to-be reloading bench. The room is finished except for the ceiling (Too Low with ducts finished). The furnace is behind two louvered doors at the opposite side. Extra drywall is not an option at this point; and since the ceiling is not finished probably not helpful in event of fire. The room is dry in summer with use of dehumidifier. It is warm approximately 72 degrees in the winter and cooler in the summer. How cool is the most desired temperature to store powder?

SD