In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Where the heck is Blue Dot

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
I am looking for cast bullet loads using Blue Dot in rifle cases. What I found was a complete lack of Blue Dot loads for any rifle calibers listed any place.

What is the problem with Blue Dot and cast loads in Rifles?

It is used in pistol loads and is a good all around powder for the .44 mag.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can only speak from my own experience with reduced loads for rifle cartridges. I've had better luck using faster burning powders then Bluedot, and "Pulldown" FMJ military bullets, rather then cast bullets.

Do a Google search for Ed Harris and his experiments known as "The Load" he goes into great detail and gives specific powder and charge weights. I have duplicated his load using a different fast burning powder and charge weight. It's a very pleasant load, and quite accurate at 100 yds.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
    edited November -1
    I've got some old books in the reloading bin. Let me know what you need and I'll be glad to see if they have a load.

"the difference between the almost right word and the right word is like the difference between a lightning bug and a lightning bolt" - Mark Twain.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's an article that was lurking in my files...

http://www.reloadingroom.com/page33.html
  • Options
    BlckhrnBlckhrn Member Posts: 5,136
    edited November -1
    I'm glad you posted that link, as I thought blue dot was for shotguns. I used to load green dot, probably because my Dad wanted something I couldn't kill myself with when he bought me my reloader at 10.

york.bmp"No taxation without representation, Join the NRA"
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Blue Dot is one of my all time favorites - like so many of the old-time Hercules powders - great performance over a wide range of applications.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the french." (Mark Twain)