In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

My First Rounds

instrumentofwarinstrumentofwar Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
It's official, I can now call myself a reloader.

I made 100 rounds of 45-70 this weekend. 405gr cast, 49.5gr Varget, and CCI LR. Thanks to Uncle Sam I haven't had a chance to touch any off.

By the way, were any of you just a little bit nervous before firing off your first loads?

Picture024.jpg

Comments

• Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    As long as you aren't shooting them out of a Trapdoor, your loads should be completely safe. Good choice on using Varget, my favorite rifle powder. In 45-70, you also try Reloader 7.

My border collie is smarter than your honor student.
  • Options
    SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was 14 years old when I reloaded my first batch, so I honestly can't remember whether or not I was nervous ( 30 years ago ) but if you followed the recipe exactly then you are completely safe.[;)]
  • Options
    jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D]I wasn't nervous untill I heard a "CLICK" and no bullet came out. That was 43 years ago-hasn't happened since.[8][:p][:p][:D]

I'm only wearing Black untill they make something darker
  • Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I,m with richbug, that load is within .5 grains of the maximum listed in my Hogdon Manual for the trapdoor springfield rifle. It would be a starting load for a modern single shot rifle or lever action rifle. What kind of .45-70 rifle are you shooting and does it have modern steel or is it an old rifle with weaker steel?
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's been so long, I honestly don't recall. Perhaps a bit, but I am sure that was very much secondary to the excitement of shooting rounds I'd loaded myself.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the french." (Mark Twain)
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I still have reservations the first time I try out a new load/new rifle, when I don't get nervious will be when I quit reloading.

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dito tailgunner's assesment. Many times, especially in my match chamber guns when fresh from the smith,..I take a full sand bag, and lay it behind the bolt/action, grab the rifle, and turn 1 loose just as a precaution. Not to mention it needs some fouling shots anyway[;)] If it has some fatal flaw,..at least the sand bag SHOULD help to stop the debris coming my way.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?