In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

130 gr pill for .300 ?

Has anyone here loaded 130gr bullets for the .300 Savage? If so, I would appreciate any info you are willing to share. I am particularly interested to know if you have had success with; 1.Barnes TSX's 2.Hornady spire-points
Info on results with 125gr Sierra Pro-Hunter spire-points and 125gr Nosler boattail spitzers would also be welcomed!

As always, THANX in advance!

Comments

• Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    The Hornadys shoot really well, but the 300 Savage will usually do better with a 150 grain bullet.

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 130 gr. TSX-BT's are just about perfect for the 300 Savage. I'm glad that Barnes brought this weight out because it does work well in the Savage or some of the other moderate capacity cases such as the .308 Winchester. The 130 gr. TSX-BT shot just like the other Triple Shocks; accurate with good velocity and efficiency. I broke this new barrel in with the traditional bullets then worked up loads for the TSX. It's a 12" twist #1 contour @ 22" for carrying in the rocky hills, nice and light even with a fixed 6 power scope. The TSX is almost perfectly placed in the short neck of the Savage.

The Hornady SP with it's flat base is also perfect for the short neck.

Powders suited for the 300 Savage:

IMR-3031

AA-2520

Ramshot Big Game

V V N-135

IMR/H-4895

Re-15

Best of luck!

Believe or not, the TSX-BT even work in my 30 BR rifle!

Generally though, I would agree that the 150 class traditional lead jacketed bullets are also suited for the 300 Savage cartridge.
  • Options
    wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    As usual good info, thanx for the replies!
  • Options
    D.S.COLED.S.COLE Member Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have great success with Speer's 130 gr HP # 2005. I use it all the time in my 308 . Several friends Ive told about it are well pleased with the accuracy. Mine will regularly put 3 shots in one ragged hole at 100 yds. Using H380 powder. It is a very explosive HP but it is not classed as a varmint round by Speer. Ive shot several deer with it and they die before they hit the ground. You have to see it to believe how deadly it is. Varmints shot with it are literally disintegrated .
    It should work fine in your 300 Savage.