In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Good bullet for BlackBear defense?

Bill CostikBill Costik Member Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
As I am about to start reloading I decided to load for a defense round for my .44. I'm looking for a good load to use against black bears, preferrably a good hardcast 200 or 240 grain solid bullet. Any suggestions? I don't want to break the bank buying thses bullets.

Comments

• Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best bullet I have found for penetration AND expansion is the Barnes XPB. They are not cheap, but not much is anymore. How many are you really going to shoot from a 44 anyway? I have used them for hunting for 2 years now with incredible results.
    http://www.barnesbullets.com/prodxpb-pistol.php
  • Options
    rimfire72rimfire72 Member Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For cast bullets these guys are hard to beat.
    http://nationalbullet.com/home.html

buycoolshirts_1825_31216154.jpg
  • Options
    ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bill,

I have a buddy that does nothing but hunt. He swears by the Nosler Partitions in his 44mag for Black Bear. Keep in mind he is in a tree stand most of the time when taking bears with his 44 mag. Personally, if I was in an area with bears and wanted some protection it would have to be a Rem 870 with 00buck and slugs. I

probably would shoot a lil better with a long gun while crapping in my pants if a bear was after me. [:D]
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No Clue whatsoever[8)] I have only used thin skinned bullets in pistols. I would assume a Partition or a "solid" of some sort.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. A shotgun is kind fo out of the question, mostly because I always run into the bear while on a fourwheeler, and my .44 is one of the only guns I can keep on my, not tied down or in a guncase. Also, in a pinch, I can still operate it one handed, not like a pump, which would be a little harder. I would definately feel better using a solid, cast bullet, rather than a jacketed or expanding one. I was hoping someone might know where I could find the bullets that Garrett or Buffalo Bore uses? I though Garrett used Woodleigh, but I might be wrong.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi Bill,
    If you simply can't use a 12 ga. with slugs and have to use a .44 a Speer 240 TMJ with a hot load is the ticket IMO. They can punch through to important parts at any angle and get the job done.

The general school of thought is as follows; if a black bear is attacking it is looking for food, fight for your life. If a griz is attacking it is usually for defence of cubs or personal space. If she is defending cubs you better file the front sight off of that .44. It will not hurt so bad when she inserts it.

A .44 will not normally turn a bear intent on harm. You must kill it to stop it, that is why the energy of a 12 ga is so desirable.
  • Options
    knucklehead14knucklehead14 Member Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BIG! A Big bullet! VERY BIG!

Bad spellers of the world

"UNTIE!"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well I live in northern PA. The bears here are'nt huge, and I'm pretty sure a hot-loaded cast bullet will deter one, should the need arise. Just looking for a hardcast flatnose bullet. Anyone else have any ideas?
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lyman 429421 cast from linotype. over 22gr. 2400, federal primers Winchester new cases. Will shoot through a bank vault. The flat Keith style front hits like a sledge hammer. Bears are not fond of it at all.
  • Options
    AllenoAlleno Member Posts: 275 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Oregon Trail Laser cast bullets are lead with a bit of silver for hardness. I haven't tried them in 44, but in my 38's, 357, and 45acp they work real well. They are very hard bullets. I have recovered some 38's that I swear could be reloaded and fired again there that hard. I would go with a heavy flat nosed slug as fast and you can drive it. I would think however that the faster you push them the more chance of them deforming, thus reducing penetration. These are a target bullets and probably not meant for bears. Anyway, these are a hard cast bullet that is relatively cheap.

Alleno
  • Options
    eastwood44mageastwood44mag Member Posts: 2,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gold Dot?

O Lord,
    grant me the Serenity
    to accept the things
    I cannot change
    the courage to change the things I can,
    and the supreme firepower to make the difference.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well I found a bullet I'm going to try. Its the LBT series from Cast Bullet Performance Company. Its a 275 grain wide flat nose. 100 for 17.99$ They are even heat-treated. Might be just the ticket I am looking for. I'm buying them out of Cabelas. I'll let you all know how the turn out.
  • Options
    GaBobGaBob Member Posts: 613 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bill
    The LBT bullet is an excellent choice. It has a big wide meplat and hits like a sledgehammer. With a hot load of 2400 powder it should do the trick.
    Bob

Keep Your Powder Dry

The only criminal class that is native to the United States is congress.
    MARK TWAIN
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    In my 44 Mag I use Lazor Cast 240Gr simi wad cutter with a load of winchester 296 powder. The Co that makes lazor cast bullets is in Baker City Oregon about 50 miles from me.
  • Options
    GaBobGaBob Member Posts: 613 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you use the 300 gr LBT bullet some sight adjustment is necessary as they shoot higher than the 240 grainers