In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Can anyone recommend a starting point 3006?

I have a couple pounds of (?)4891(?) in purple cans made by IHC or someone who's company is abbreviated with three letters. I'm told this was the T1Ts before Varget if that helps. Using a free single stage Lee O type press (cast aluminum) and Lee Classic (? yellow instead of red molded plastic case) and figuring on both 150 gr and 168 gr FMJ BT's. Don't have any books on the subject, have calipers, scale, trickler, Lee Autoprime, just basic stuff.

Where do I start?

york.bmp"No taxation without representation, Join the NRA"

Comments

• Options
    jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D]With a book or two-believe it or not you're just a little to green for instant info-SORRY[:(][:(][:(][:(][8D]

I'm only wearing Black untill they make something darker
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy a loading manual,...any manual, and read it 2x first.

and do you mean

imr4198?
    imr4831?
    imr4895?

Either way,..IT DOES matter which powder it is. Suggest you read a few books and get a good grasp first. I read the LEE and the Nosler manuals prior to begining.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My advice and its only that. DO NOT use any powder unless you know for certian who the powder manufacturer was, what type of powder it is(IMR 4198, IMR4895, IMR 4831, etc.), and have reloading data from a reliable source. I would suggest that you buy several reloading manuals and read them completely before you attempt to load ammunition using anyone's data. Also always use the loads exactly as listed in the manuals --no substitutions on the components until you have gained a lot experience reloading. Have fun and be safe.
  • Options
    r_himmelreichr_himmelreich Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was younger, my dad bought a whole reloading set up from an in-laws uncle. It included some 243 ammunition and cans of powder. Since my dad owned a 243 he tried the ammo on a local range. One shot, a bent pair of eyeglasses and one stuck bolt later - all of the ammunition was thrown away. My dad was not too happy and my innocent but smart * questions like "I thought a 243 was a small gun? and Was it supposed to do that?" didn't help. Thankfully no one was hurt and the rifle survived but it has "R-P 243 WIN" permanently peened into the bolt face. Throw the powder into the grass the next time it rains. It makes great fertilizer. Buy new so you know what it is.

Once you've read a manual - I like Hornady and Nosler, try IMR 4350. It works in my 243, 6mm, 7mm-08, 280 and 338. My dad uses it in his .30-06 too. Reloading is a lot of fun. A great way to pass the time between shooting. It also is great to take an animal with load you developed. Enjoy.