In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Looking for a Reduced Load for .284 Winchester

SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
I posted this in "Ask The Experts" also so take a look there as well. Looking for a reduced load for .284 Winchester, 120,130,140 grain bullets, rifle is a Ruger M77 flatbolt. My son is eventually going to step up to this gun from a .243 and I'd like to start him out with a light recoiling load. Would like to hear about real loads not something that people think might work. Reduced loads have always made me nervous, I've never messed with them. My loading has always been in the other direction,(maximum velocity and accuracy for hunting loads ). Thanks for your help.[;)]

Comments

• haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    You can go to the hodgdon site and use any rifle data that has H4895 listed, and use as little as 60% of the maximum load. This is stated in their topic under youth loads. I use this type of load in my M44, and it has little to no recoil. Accuracy is good. This is the only known powder to be stable at this low of a load. Here is a link. http://www.hodgdon.com/data/index.php
  • SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the link Harold. This is the best information yet.
    [;)]
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    I have used 42.5 grains of H-4895 with a 120 Nosler BTfor a reduced load in my custom .284 when the boy wants to shoot the big gun, he's 10 yo and weighs in at 70 pounds, and he likes it, and shoots it very well[:D]

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    see my post on the other forum. the guy at the other site has worked quite heavily with blue dot powder in minimal charges to acheive velocities that will harvest effectively, yet are very mild loads on the back end.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks JustC and Mrbruce I appreciate the info, it's real important for me to ease my son into this without starting any bad habits or damaging his confidence. He is shooting the .243 really well at max loads, it's an ultra light little gun and jumps around a little at the bench with these loads but he seems to do okay with it, after 2- 5 shot groups he's done with it but is shooting 1.5" groups and sometimes 2" so I know he's okay. Just afraid the .284 will take the recoil up to another level that he's not ready for.
    Thanks again[;)]