In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Range Report for 300Win

ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ok gents,

Just wanted to share some load data for some of you with 300Win. As always, if you want to use this load, WORK UP TO IT!!!! Just because it works in mine means that it will work in yours.

Rifle: Custom 700 300win built by GA Precision
26" Mike Rock Barrel 1:10

Load
190gn Sierra Match King
72.5gn of RL22
Primer is a Federal 210M, not the 215M Magnum
Case was cut to 2.60
OAL is 3.40

Gives me right around 3000FPS on a 70 degree day.

ES and SD are in the teens. Can't remember exact numbers at this time.

I load tested it at 300 yards and it shoots right around 1/2MOA.

Shot this same load at my match yesterday and the further we went out out. (We shoot from 200 to 1000) the groups started to shrink lil by lil.

This is my 1000 yard group, missed off the right shoulder. (Thought it was a 3mph wind, was actually about 7mph.)

1000ydgroup.jpg

Comments

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    that's pretty tight Vu. It's those damn 4th and 5th shot that always screw up a very nice group[:(!]

how did you finish at the match? Did you try the 215M primer yet? 3000fps with a 190gr out of a 26" tube is great!!

I assume that was your 1000yd zero from the last time out? if so, what was the weather like this time? if it was overcast as you said it was supposed to be, you can see the drop due to the density of the moist air providing more drag on your pill.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Justin,

As always weather people were WRONG. It was freaking almost 75 degrees and SUNNY. Mirage was a #$@$) at 1K. This was not my 1K dope from Saturday. It took me 23MOA to hit dead on at 1K on Saturday. Sunday I only dialed in 22MOA and it still shot high.

Have not tried the magnum primers yet. One of the guys suggest the 210M because he got REALLY low SDs and ES with his 300win with almost the exact load. He shoots 72.7gn of RL22.

Also there was no 4th and 5th shot. We just do 3 rounds per string. Would be nice to do 5 rounds.

But I nailed all 3 of my head shots from 600. Put 2 through 1 hole.

You know what does suck though? Now I am freaking spoiled from a custom gun. [xx(] How will I ever go back to a factory rifle?
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Nice![8D]

Eric

All American Arms Company

www.galleryofguns.com
    VIP Code: AAAC

Veteran Owned and Operated
  • Options
    edited November -1
    that's just it, you won't go back. The only thing I can find solace in is the remington sendero or Varmint models. Now, if I am in the woods, just about anything is good enough for that.

that 4th and 5th shot makes for a lot of cussing as that barrel heats up and the wind changes[:(!][;)]

Got Balistics?
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice shootin! CF, I am just hoping next week I can even hit the paper at
    1K. When we go I will get directions for ya.

BTW Target size? 48x48 with a 44" black?

sniper.gif
    NRA Life Endowment Member

Soquel.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    FrancF,

B27B full size police targets. Have a good time man! And please let me know where and how you guys do out there. I got a small group that wants to get out and shoot their 338s and 50s.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    What sort of optics are you using?
    I'm stuck with a 4.5-20 Leupold on one (Permanent mount) and a Shepherd on the other.

"Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit" --OVID
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Gunnut,

Nightforce 5-22X 50mm with a MLR Reticle.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I figured you had something expensive and at least 20X, lots of shooters out here use a fixed like the Weaver and mount high to compensate for not having enough "clicks".
    Are the Nightforce all that? I mean I could look at the sheet and see what they say the specs are, but is the glass clean & bright, do the clicks stay the same over a few hundred rounds, would you go for another one, etc.?

• Options
    edited November -1
    Gunnut,

For the money they are the best out there in THAT price range. I have a Leupold Mark 4 6-20X 50mm and its a great scope but for 300.00 more the Nightforce kicks the Loopy's butt by far on the 1000 yard line. The cross hairs and clicks are that much better on the NF.

You also have 97MOA total of elevation to really reach out there. Problem with expensive glass is once you use them, YOU WILL NEVER GO BACK. Also with nice optics you can't go cheap on base and rings. That's another 200.00 to 300.00 depending on brand and application.

Great scope for long range shooting. [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    By the way, it may be a 22X scope but I have never had it pass 14X even on the 1K line. Next scope will probably be the 3-15X even if its for 1K use.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    nothing even close to the NXS anywhere near it's price and even above it. I have looked through schmidt and bender tacticals and US Optics, and they just are NOT better by enough to justify the increase in price. For $1100-$1300, nothing holds a candle to the Nighforce NXS. I was hooked the day I looked through my first one, never looked back and sold 3 leupold MK IV's to get 3 more NXS's.

check out the reviews on snipercountry.com The author told nightforce to bill him for all 3 they had sent him, as he was NOT going to send them back. They were found to be the most accurate scope-to-scope for their ability to produce TRUE 1/4moa clicks. He mounted all 3 on the same rifle and ran the box test, and all 3 hit same POI as the prior scope did, now that is "dead nutz" If you hold your rifle down in the bags and click the turrets, you actually see it jump 1/4moa very crisply and clearly with each click. No slack, no backlash, no B.S. You won't be the same after you use one.

Got Balistics?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was afraid you'd say that.
    EVERYONE I talked to (who use their optics for special purposes) heartily endorsed that scope line, and most thought I already was using one!
    Guess I'll just have to forego that new PTR90 and all its' accessories one more time!