In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

why you can't test loads under 300yds (pics)

JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
OK, here is the drill, I have maybe 1 1/2 hrs to run out of work early, get to the farm, set up, and shoot, then pack up and get home for dinner with the wife and son. I figure,..hey I can run the ladder at 100yds and determine it's results easily. WRONG. (check out the "Creighton Audette ladder method" if you don't know what I am speaking of). Basicaly, this method states that loading 1 rnd of charges in any powder within it's limits, and increasing it by .2gr for small cases and .3gr for large cases, you can run a ladder to determine your barrel's preference for load range. So lets say I am using a 6.5-06AI and I start with 6.5-06 data in the nosler manual for the 140gr pill. I load 1 rnd with 49.6gr of 4831sc, 1 rnd with 49.9gr, 50.2gr, 50.5gr, etc up to 51.7gr for 8 rounds. Theoretically, I should be able to see the increasing charges walk their way up the paper with 2 clusters along the way. The results if you follow the load range from low to high end, will result in a vertical string of bullets with 2 groups in the middle somewhere.

SOOOOOO, anyway I know I am limited on time, and decide to try to set the target out to 100yds then 150yds and run the ladder (theory states that 300yds is the least distance at which to run it) And I run the right side ladder at 100yds, and the left side ladder at 150yds.....

100_0398.jpg

and as you can tell,..the theory requesting 300yds as a starting distance is well justified. There is little sense to be made of this here.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
Got Balistics?

Comments

• Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JustC

When I work loads up that way I raise the elevation of the scope 1" each shot group then measure from point of aim. It helps keep things clearer...provided your scope adjusts properly...had that problem too, it ends up with groups like what you have.

We have the second amendment so that all the rest are secure....UNK>
  • Options
    edited November -1
    sandwarrior, I am going to re-run the ladder at least 2x at 300yds this week to get a better idea. I was fooling myself trying to think I could get it done it limited time with only 150yds. I should have backed it out to 300yds and then only fired one ladder if that was all that I had time for. Oh well,..at least I know I'm in the ballpark[;)] It looks like at this point the 1-3 loads and the 7-8 loads may come in as the sweet spots but that could be coincidence, the longer yardage should decifer things a bit better if I can get an overcast day with no mirage to run a good vertical string.

Got Balistics?
  • Options
    ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JustC,

This sounds like it is similar to the OCW Method. Optimum Charge Weight. Check out this article.

http://www.clik.to/optimalchargeweight

I stop load testing at 100 because 100 doesn't tell me much unless you plan on sitting on 100 yard line all the time. Everything is done at 300 yards now.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    CF, I have gone away from 100yd testing but since I didn't have time and the mirage was bad, I had to try for spot in the shade and shoot quickly. Maybe the wind will fall out in the next few days[8D]

Got Balistics?