In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pics demonstrating the importance of proper bullet

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
seating depth. In the first pic the bullets were .005 off the lands and I had 4 shots inside 3/8" with one flyer that I pulled off. The second pic is the exact same load but set at .01 off the lands...only .005 further than the first target. The second group was 1 1/4"

.005 off the lands:
34393%3C2%3B23232%7Ffp63%3Dot%3E232%3B%3D64%3C%3D78%3B%3DXROQDF%3E2323865549652ot1lsi

.01 off the lands:
34393%3C2%3B23232%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E232%3B%3D64%3C%3D78%3B%3DXROQDF%3E2323865549665ot1lsi

This was from my Weatherby Super Varmit Master chambered in .243 The load was 42 gr of RL-22, Lapua Brass, CCI BR primer, and a Nosler 95 gr BT bullet. Optics: Leupold Vari-X III 6.5-20X50mm.

Distance was 100 yards.

Eric

All American Arms Company

www.galleryofguns.com
VIP Code: AAAC

Veteran Owned and Operated

Comments

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice shootin tex[;)]

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Eric,

There is nothing better than a good visual to add proof to a concept.
    Thanks for posting the photos and to echo Justin's comment, Good shootin' Tex!

Best.
  • Options
    SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Eric, nononsense is right good pictures are worth a thousand words. Keep the good shooting, good pictures and tech lessons coming!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I forgot to mention that I also tried .002 off the lands and the group started opening up there too. .005 ended up being the sweet spot for this particular rifle.

Eric

www.galleryofguns.com

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Eric,

I came back to read your newest entry and discovered that you list all of the information except "the bullet" used. I know that it's a bit of trouble but would you mind letting us know which bullet you used in these tests? I want to look at this another way and need this bit of info.

The acceptable range in distance from the lands is pretty narrow and I want to see if there might be a reason other than that.

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nononsense
    Eric,

I came back to read your newest entry and discovered that you list all of the information except "the bullet" used. I know that it's a bit of trouble but would you mind letting us know which bullet you used in these tests? I want to look at this another way and need this bit of info.

The acceptable range in distance from the lands is pretty narrow and I want to see if there might be a reason other than that.

Thanks!

Sorry about that. It's a 95 gr Nosler Ballistic Tipped pill. I plan to try seating them into the lands next, but I doubt it will make much of a difference with this production rifle. I conducted these tests with several different loads, and two types of powders and had similar results. If I have time to get some ammo loaded up, I plan to take her on out to 300-400-500 yards tomorrow afternoon.

Eric

www.galleryofguns.com