In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cheapest reloading setup?

Anyone have suggestions for the cheapest (but not quality-wise) press/dies/etc. that I could get? As a dirt-poor student I dont have a lot of money to throw arund, so nothing like a progressive press. At this point I intend to reload solely for 7.62x54r, so I just need that one set of dies.

Any suggestions are appreciated :)

mnd.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    The cheapest is a lee loader, at about $20 plus a hammer. The cheapest I would recomend is a lee aniversary kit. It includes everything but dies for about $65, a set of lee dies is $20. Do you have a good supply of brass saved up? The best price I have seen on new brass for it was about$25/ 100.

• Options
    MosinNagantDiscipleMosinNagantDisciple Member Posts: 2,612
    edited November -1
    I have about 200 casings (all winchester)

One question - is it crucial that I get a tumbler to clean the brass? I would love to have bright, shiny brass, but at this point I'm only going to get a tumbler if it presents a saftey issue.

mnd.jpg
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    Not that important. Some bench rest guys think that dirty brass grips the chamber better, making the ammo more accurate. I personally like mine shiny. Lee's case trimmer that mounts on a drill can be used to polish brass, only costs about $3.

• Options
    haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    Another option for this caliber, and if you are only going to do this caliber, is to buy the surplus ammo at a good price(I pay $40 for 800 rounds), get a bullet puller(inertia type), and pull all the bullets, throw the powder away, and install your own powder in the quantity you want, and reseat the bullet. You can't buy the primers and bullets for what it costs to buy the surplus.

If your brass is dirty, it needs to be cleaned. Dirty brass is hard on the dies, and can get you with a case stuck in a sizing die.
  • Options
    jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D]-You know MND, I have been, reloading for 40 yrs, diff tools,I find Lee single press and Carbide (and rifle) dies do it all for me, I have to shoot Law Enforce supplied rounds for Duty, but the rest I do with my Lee kit , usually 100/200 rounds a week if you do more, then RCBS, otherwise Lee is the greatest and believe it or not,it makes you take TIME for NO mistakes!![:p][:p][:p][:D]

I'm only wearing Black untill they make something darker
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hit the garage sale circut on Saturady mornings. You will find everything you need for less than 100 bucks.