In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

9mm load data

375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
I need some load data for 9mm luger.

700x powder with 125 grain LRN.

Hodgden has load data for a 125 LCN, which should be close but is the OAL different?

Comments

• 375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Was wondering if anyone loaded 147gr JHP's for the 9mm ?
    I was loading 125gr bullets using Win 231 , but none of my manuals have a load listed with 231 and a 147gr bullet . If I need to pick up a different type of powder , I will . I was thinking of Win WAP , but was hoping someone could give some advice on a powder , if there is no data for Win 231.
    I had 2000 125gr JHP's ordered from " Powder Valley " but they are out of stock , got tired of waiting so I ordered the 147gr JHP's
    Bullets are Zero brand , the 125's shot nice , hope the 147's shoot just as well [B)]
    I'll be shooting them out of a S&W 5906 or my Sigma .
    Thank Ya Kindly for any input [8)]
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I think 231 might be too fast burning for 147 grain in a 9MM . Try a slower burning powder.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I found a 231 load for 147gr. lead, I'm loadind Rainers, and they say use lead specs. It calls for 3.3-3.5 of 231. The chart also calls for 3.9-4.3 of WSF for jacketed 147s. Hope this helps you. I had a heck of a time finding these loads.
  • 375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Settled on Winchester WSF
    4.1 gr's WSF 147 gr JHP ( Zero bullet Co. ) and a CCI 500 primer
    using winchester brass .

So far I shot them out of the S&W 5906 , the S&W Sigma and a buddy shot some out of his Hi-Point .
    Seem to fire and function just fine [:)]
  • formerlywrongformerlywrong Member Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The problem with stuffing heavier than usual bullets into 9mm cases is that they must be inserted too far into the case to achieve useable overall length.

9mm case is tapered, and a long bullet may cause a "bulge" which is even visible to the eye; this may prevent insertion into the chamber.

Reason I bring up heavy bullet-9mm is I shoot sub-sonic 9mm, and the only way I was able to achieve reliable blow-back to eject was to use heavy bullets. I go as high as 180 grains, get best sub-sonic results with Green-dot powder.

Will leave it up to reader to decide why I want sub-sonic anmo!