In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

223 AI - anybody load for this one?

dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
Care to share loads? Will be using 40-55 grain bullets.

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dcloco,

I only use the 75 gr. AMAX so my loads won't help you much. Here is a link to a combination article about the .223 Rem and the .223AI with excellent load data for both:

http://www.6mmbr.com/223Rem.html

Have Fun!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks nononsense.

I have read that article a couple of times.

My primary reason for buying the particular 223 AI that I did...it has a 1:12 twist barrel. My 1:9 Savage does fine with 40-64's, REALLY shines with 69 Sierra's or Noslers....so..I wanted something to shoot the 40/50/52/55's with. And...with the AI, can push a little faster if necessary.

Kind of looking forward to not trimming brass as much!

What brand of brass do you prefer??
  • Options
    DatAintRightPADatAintRightPA Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nononsense
    dcloco,

I only use the 75 gr. AMAX so my loads won't help you much. Here is a link to a combination article about the .223 Rem and the .223AI with excellent load data for both:

http://www.6mmbr.com/223Rem.html

Have Fun!

I have been thinking about loading the 75 gr. AMAX in .223 and would be interested in your load data if you would be willing to share. Also, have you ever loaded the 77 gr. Sierra Match King in .223?
  • Options
    wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    .223 AI
    T/C Contender
    Bullberry 15" Bull barrel with integrated muzzlebrake
    IMI brass
    Remington 7 1/2 primers
    Winchester 748 powder @ 28.0 gr
    Hornady SPSX @ 55gr
    Haven't chronied it but she's VERY accurate AND consistent IN MY GUN!
    THIS IS THE OUTER LIMIT WITH THIS POWDER FOR ME, AS THE PRIMER IS RIGHT ON THE VERGE OF CRATERING.
    Hope I helped a little[}:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks everybody.

I will be working through load ladder with several different powders and 50, 52, & 55 grain bullets. Will run through my chronograph and post the results.

Of note, my rifle is a 28" PacNor barrel with a 1:12 twist. Which is the twist that I wanted for the lighter bullet. I already own a Savage 12FV single shot with a 1:9 twist that provides excellent results with H4895, CCI 450 or Fed 205M, with Nosler or Sierra 69 gr HPBT bullets....at 3000 fps.