In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Help everything rusted

dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
Now what do I do. The shop all my stuff was in had a tree fall on it in a storm. Now all my stuff (I do mean ALL, press, scale, dies, anything steel) is rusted. Some worse than others. Because this was my stuff on a commercial property (not my property) the insurance has turned down the claim.

Comments

• HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    If it is just surface rust, you should be ok. I would get one of the Lead and Rust removing cloths that Hoppes sells and wipe everything down with that. It will remove the rust and show you if anything is pitted. If that doesn't work, soak them in Break-free and then scrub with a greenie or mild steel wool.
    The presses should be ok whether they are pitted, as long as the pitting isn't in the threads. Same with the dies, however you need to make sure that you get all the rust out of the inside of the dies and that the inside isn't pitted.
    As for the scale, you may just have to purchase a new one.
  • Jim RehmJim Rehm Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try soaking everything in penetrating oil, Kroil,diesel fuel, auto transmisson oil or brake fluid to loosen the rust. disassemble the dies first. If the rust is just surface rust it may scrub off with steel wool. A wire wheel on a grinder will clean most exterior surfaces even if the rust has started to cause pits. For the inside of the dies use a close fitting barrel cleaning brush wrapped with 4/0 steel and spun with a drill. The dies are hardened and the steel wool should not change any dimensions. Additionally the dies probably have some internal protection from sizing lube. Be careful with the scale as any damage to the pivot points could cause it to hang up. Check it with known weights or another scale to be sure of it's accuracy.
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    if the rust rag or penatrating lube doesnt work try this stuff
    http://www.evapo-rust.com/
    it works great. about 15-20 a gallon.

also might want to try navel jelly it is a little cheaper and can be found almost any hardware store. is a little cheaper than the Evapo-rust.
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. I'll see what I can get done.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    this should be covered by your home owners insurance as 'property left in the care of others'.