In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloading conundrum

nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
OK. So here's the issue: I'm reloading .30-'06. The brass consists of stuff that's been fired in my (father's) rifle and stuff that hasn't. The reloads that were originally fired in our rifle works fine. No problems. But the stuff that hasn't is tighter than hell in the chamber afer resizing/reloading. I'm doing exactly the same things to them and using exactly the same equipment (lee press and Lee RGB die.) What could be the problem? Shouldn't the die resize all brass to exactly the same dimensions regardless of what rifle it was fired in? Isn't that the point of the die?

Before you ask: Yes, I am trimming. Yes, I am measuring, both case and overall length. Yes, I am seating the primers deep enough. Like I said, I'm doing all the required steps and performing exactly the same procedures for all brass, irrespective of "source."

Comments

• Options
    reelseriousreelserious Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    some of the brass is thicker(military?) or softer
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello I agree with your thoughts about the reason we use reloading dies "TO SIZE ALL CASES THE SAME" no matter what rifle they were fired in . Unfortunately you can't size the entire case because the shell holder by design does not allow the sizing die to go all the way to the extractor groove. Some times you can get better results with "SMALL BASE DIES" but these need good case lube and take more effort . We might be able to help if we know what kind of rifle. Another thing to look at is the case length to shoulder. When we measure the OAL of an empty case they can all be the same but vary a great deal from base to shoulder . This can happen if the Full length die is not sizing the shoulder on the shells fired in other rifle. #1 make sure the sizing die and shell holder is the same brand. and the die is adjusted correctly. I buy a go no-go case gage for most of my rifle cases.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Measure the diameter of the cases, about 1/4" up from the base, but below the "rubbed ring" left by your sizing die. This is probably the area that's interfering, and is also the area that a SB die reaches a little further into.

The shell holder blocks part of the case, and the mouth of the die has a tapered or radiused lead in. This is what prevents going "all the way down" the case. The SB dies have a smaller radius/taper. You could "roll size" this area between 2 plates, but the question than becomes on of "is it worth it for a few pieces of common brass?".
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you simply F/L size the cases that have not been fired in your dads rifle it will be a self solving problem. Screw the die down until it touches the shell holder. F/L size the unknown brass. Return the die to its normal position. When you fire the rounds in the rifle they will form to that chamber.

Trimming may be needed for the unknown brass after you size it. It sounds like your dads rifle is a bit tight in the rear chamber area. The rifle the other brass was fired in was probably a bit bigger and is causing the headaches you are having.

Good lucj happy shooting
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nemesisenforcer,

This is a classic case of why firing even resized brass from another rifle can be difficult. Sizing dies are usually .0005"-.001" undersized to allow for springback of brass. In a rifle with a generous chamber the brass being resized will spring back to about halfway give or take what it used to be. It never fully resizes down to the die dimension. Put that in a rifle with a tight chamber and you have some force to overcome 'sizing' your brass into the tighter chamber.
    One method already discussed above is to shorten the TOP of your shell holder so that the shell will push up into the FL sizing die more. You can hae it machined or polished or just use emery cloth. Wrap the last on a block to keep it square. Be careful with that thinking though as you don't want to disrupt headspace by too much.
    If it helps any, the rounds may be stiff the first time through your rifle but after fire-forming they will be easier the next time.

Anyhow, that's my $.02 worth of solutions.
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the tips. I figured once the "unknown" brass was fired in our rifle, it would help greatly as it would be sized to that chamber. FWIW, I use a Lee shellholder with the Lee die, but I also have an RCBS shellholder for that size of rim. From what I can tell, the RCBS shellholder allows the case to be pushed FARTHER into the die than the Lee shellholder does, but this still didn't fix the problem. I always take the shellholder right up until it touches the bottom of the die to ensure full length resizing. Thanks again.