In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

7.62 mm M118LR load data

glockmattglockmatt Member Posts: 129 ✭✭
I know that there is subtle differences with 7.62 NATO and .308. I want to try to reload a close load to the military M118LR or the commerical equivalent Black Hills 175 gr and Federal Gold 175 gr with Sierra Match Kings.
Planned recipe:
Bullet: Sierra Matchking 175 gr.
Case: carefully resized and burrs trimmed
No case crimp
? full length vs. neck resizing
Powder: ?
Primer: ?
Any help is appreciated.
Matt

Comments

• Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    What rifle are you loading for? I usually load my 308 rounds to work in all of my rifles, M1A, PSS Remington 700, FAL's. I load to 7.62x51 levels. I usually use IMR4895, CCI BR-2 primers, Black Hills Match Brass. I load 40.5 gr with a 168 gr Sierra match bullet. With a 175 gr, I use 40 gr of IMR 4895. I full length size so that I know they will work in any of my rifles. If I was just using one bolt action rifle, I would neck size brass after firing it in that rifle. I trim to the same dimension after each firing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Pearyw, thanks for the reply.
    It's for an accurized Remington 700, but I'm planning on picking up an accurized M14 clone or M1A in the near future. I have an M1A/SOCOM but use only military surplus, factory or TAP 110 gr. I think the long range stuff would be over kill in the service grade gun with a 16 inch tube. Do you agree? Any pet loads for the SOCOM for practice?
    Excuse my novice question but what is the advantage of just neck sizing for a single bolt action rifle? Can you get away without case lubing for just neck sizing?
    Thanks.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    M118LR is reportedly loaded with Reloder 15. I could not find the charge, so tweak for the current listed velocity of 2685 fps. Some of the early lots were faster but hard on M14s.

I load the 175 SMK .308 with 44 gr Varget in Lapua brass, either Federal Match or CCI BR primers. 2650+ fps.

Neck sizing - for same bolt action only - saves the trouble of lubing or de-lubing brass and provides a better fit in the chamber... if your chamber is concentric. It doesn't do a whole lot for brass life, they normally crack in the neck first whether neck or full length sized.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank for the info.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Matt I have 7 unopened boxes of M118 lot number 20-17 Lake city match that I would be willing to sell if you are interested I can list with a buy it now price. Cheers Karl.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Karl,
    Thanks for the offer. Unfortunately, I have some other obligations right now. The load data is for reference with some components I already have. Thanks again for all the good info.
    -Matt