In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.308 with 175gr

wynn24wynn24 Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
Does anyone load 175 grain sierra match in .308? I have used varget and IMR 4350 powders so far with less than acceptable results. I am using winchester brass and WLR primers. I have achieved some half inch groups, but with other loads out of this .308 I have achieved groups in the .3's. I know this rifle is a shooter but I cant seem to find a sweet spot with the 175 grainers.

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wynn24,

What loads are you currently using with the 175 gr. MK and what were the previous loads that were more accurate?

What other factors have changed between the accurate loads and the ones you're working on now?

There are literally a hundred accuracy loads available for the various types of .308 Win. target shooting that gets done. Powders used are:

Re-15
    AA-2520
    IMR-3031
    IMR-4895
    V V N-540
    V V N-140, 135, 133
    Ramshot TAC

It may be that the barrel needs a thorough cleaning or something else has changed with the rifle. Tell us what other factors you know about and let's see what we can come up with.

Best.
  • Options
    wynn24wynn24 Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am at the office and do not have my load data with me. One previous load that comes to mind is 110gr varmit bullet by sierra. It took 39.9gr of re-7 and WLR primer. I shot it following some of my testing of the 175gr MK and it is still as good as ever. I can with no problem get a one hole five shot group with a bipod and sand bag. Nothing has changed with the rifle, scope, cleaning procedure. However I have only used two powders and only one kind of primer. 6mmbr says that varget is one of the best powders for this bullet, but I havent had acceptable results with it. I have also used two different lots of each powder.