In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

reloading 22-250 Ackley Imp?

snowy1snowy1 Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
My question is this............Can I buy new 22-250AI brass (where) or do I have to buy regular 22-250 brass and use a 22-250AI die to get the proper dimensions? I am told that I can fire regular 22-250 shells in my AI rifle and it will "fire form" them. Is this safe and how desireable would it be?

Comments

• Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    All you have to do to get 22-250 AI brass is fire regular 22-250 rounds in the gun. That will fire-form them. That is the only way to get the brass to the right dimensions. Just running standard brass through AI dies will not do anything as the the shoulder is farther forward and there is no taper on the AI cases.
    I don't know of anywhere that you can buy AI brass new. It's much easier to fireform.
    As for being safe and desireable, it is very safe and really the only way to get the brass. You may even see good accuracy from standard loads out of the AI. I use the standard brass for zeroing the scope, then fine tune with AI brass.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    snowy1,

+1 one on what handgunHTR52 said. You have to fire it through the rifle, then reload using the dies. And in truth, that is the best way. Because that it the whole theory of accuracy behind the Ackleys.

The only AI brass I know of being made commercially is Nosler for the 280 AI. There could be more I just don't know if it. -good luck
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    snowy1,

If you don't want to fireform your own cases in your chamber, give these folks a call:

Grayback Wildcats
    5306 Bryant Ave
    Klamath Falls, OR 97603
    Phone: (541) 884-1072

Like the others, I fireform my own cases in a particular rifle's chamber. This is about as custom as you can get for ammunition since it fits your chamber precisely. Reload simply by using 22-250 Ackley Improved dies and go shoot!

"...and there is no taper on the AI cases."

There has to be some taper in all cartridge cases in order to allow and aid in extraction. In this particular situation, the 22-250AI case has 0.019" taper total or .0095" per side of the case.

Best.