In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Advice on die type for handguns

11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
Gents- my original reloading gear was made by OG the Caveman- dies came in two versions- rusty and not rusty. Am in process of buying some new dies (my LORD- look at the price of factory ammo!) and I see Carbide, Titanium, Unobtanium, etc. Looking at 38/ 9mm/45 acp. Understand that carbide dies not not require lubrication (I spray lube my cases anyhoo) Your thoughts on various types of pistol dies?

Comments

• Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are loading on a progressive press. Dillon (carbide in pistol dies)is the leader and makes great dies. If you are loading on a single stage then I go with RCBS carbide dies. I have used Hornady Titanium and LEE carbide dies and have not een impressed. I have had issues with both. The Dillon dies don't come with a bell die (as it isn't needed for thier progressive press as this is accomplished at the powder drop stage). Dillon die sets do come with a factory crimp die instead. They are also beveled on the edge more than others so that shells feed better. If you go with a single stage press RCBS dies are great and as you will need the bell die it is in the set. Both RCBS and Dillon have top of the line customer service that is second to none.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For the price the Lee carbide set is good. I have seen bad dies in almost every brand made; some load better ammo than others, most people can't tell them apart.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello it depends on how much you plan on loading I have been loading 5000-7500 rounds of 45acp each year for 35+ years By all means go with Carbide dies. revolvers are not as picky but IMHO a taper crimp die is a must in semi auto pistols .They are much more forgiving on different case length and don't cause feed problems that roll crimp dies do. For example taper crimp a 45ACP to .469 +or- this will keep the bullet from moving back in the case when it hits the feed ramp and also allow the cartridge to fully chamber.Dillon has the best customer service hands down I use a Star reloader but would not suggest this for someone starting out. If you go into casting your own bullets H&G molds can't be beat but wear protective gloves and cast out doors. LEAD is bad news health wise. "PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanx guys. Have been reloading for about 35 years- just looking to upgrade some equipment. Perry- have limited my casting to Maxi's for my BP rifles- but have a lip ventilator at the casting pot. BTW- anytime you handle lead/ lead bullets, go WASH yer hand before you eat, drink, smoke. You can get lead by ingestion just as well as inhalation. Price of bullets keeps going up, gonna start casting .357 SWC's!!!
  • Options
    GUNFUNCOGUNFUNCO Member Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RCBS or Redding.

Dillon if for a Dillon.

I used to like Lyman as well but they now charge for some repairs. I just paid $30 for a plug for an older mold and $20 for a small broken part on a scale.

RCBS would have fixed either for free, in my experience.
  • Options
    SkeedaddySkeedaddy Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Carbide dies will save the die lube (and the mess).
  • Options
    goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    For the price the Lee carbide set is good. I have seen bad dies in almost every brand made; some load better ammo than others, most people can't tell them apart.

I agree here, I like my Lee carbides.