In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

lube on inside of cases

joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
Does anyone use lube on the inside of cases if you are running them through the dies? I was told the lube will case different neck tensions when fired even if cleaned before firing. I have also been told that the lube helps when forming and is easier on the cases. So what to believe?

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I use RCBS spray lube for full length sizing and tumble them to remove any lube. For neck sizing I use a Midway case neck lubricator with mica to lube the inside.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Joes,

I lube the necks as it helps keep stretch down. I specifically use it to help uniform the sizing process. Every case goes through the die with the same pressure.
    I clean them out with a q-tip after resizing.
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I use Lee case lube on the inside of the neck applied with a q-tip. I use to use the motor mica with a brush, but this is easier and less messy.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I spray the cases with Hornady one shot or Dillon case lube. If I spray a little down vertically, or better yet at about a 45 degree angle, enough gets in to do the job; otherwise I don't add more, no. I tumble to clean off lube usually, sometimes I just wipe off the outside with a rag if using a lube that truly dries like Lee.
  • Options
    Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Same as jonk...But I size and trim at the same time (Dillon). Then tumble and debur inside and out before loading.(Rifle only)...
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mine are soaked in either vinagar and boiling water or lime-away, and then dried and tumbled. No lube in the necks left after that.
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    I use Lyman case lube on the outside of the cases and RCBS Slick spray applied with a Q-tip on the inside of the neck prior to resizing. If I am necking up (for the TCU for example) I use Hornady Unique lube in the necks. Then I tumble. I haven't seen any adverse affects yet.
    I did get some TCU brass that was necked up using Imperial Sizing wax and there was quite a bit that didn't come off by tumbling. For that I did use the vinegar treatment on them.