In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Win 231, anyone?

Anybody have a pet load for it?

I load for 38spl, 357, 9mm, 44 Mag and 45ACP.

So far, I've found that, in 38spl, more is better with 158-grain Lazercast bullets.

Comments

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I really like 231 in my target 45's. I used a 200 grain Lyman cast bullet over 4.0 to 4.5 of 231 lit by a federal primer. Low smoke, different recoil impule than Bullseye and very accurate.
  • PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I use 5.8 gr of 231 with a 200 gr cast swc in a 45 acp for a full power load for IDPA. I like 4.4 gr with a 158 swc in 38 spl.
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Pearyw
    I use 5.8 gr of 231 with a 200 gr cast swc in a 45 acp for a full power load for IDPA. I like 4.4 gr with a 158 swc in 38 spl.

I noticed how the groups tightened up when I got to 4.3 gr. The load book I was using didn't go beyond 4.3, but I think my 5-year-old Sierra book goes higher.

My Auto Ord 1911 eats SWC's nicely. I haven't gotten any of them lately and I'm out of bullets for the ACP, so I'll give that a try. Thanks for the input.
  • PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't shoot competition anymore but when I did, I shot a Lane 200 grain SWC lead bullet with 5.2 or 5.4 charge of W231 depending on what I was shooting that day. The powder charge would be lit by a Federal Large Pistol primer. I taper crimped all my .45 acp loads. I used mostly wcc78 & wcc84 match cases but I did use some R-P & Federal cases but never mixed them for a match. These loads were used inter-changeably between my Model 25 revolver and 1911 Colt pistol. I also used a Hornady 200 grain CMTSWC (a jacketed version of the above lead bullet) occasionally in the revolver. All worked quite well for me. NOTE: If you switch between jacketed and lead bullets, you might have to remember to crimp the jacketed bullets a little heavier because of the smaller diameter.
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just started working on a .357 load using 231. A level .5 Lee scoop (4.5 grains???) and a 158 grain Hornady swaged SWC. So far looks like an accurate load, no leading, feels like I'd classify as a mid-range load.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello I normally don't like BALL powder but when the DCM/CMP stopped issueing ammo for their ball matches.[:(] I started loading my own and squirreled away all wcc match that we had The only way I could get near the same groups was with 231 Powder. I think this is what is in WCC Match Ball 45ACP I don't know what Federal used years ago but some lots of Federal 1971 & 1974 ammo will shoot smaller groups then any other ammo in a number of guns I used this in Presidents 100 and Team Ball Match[:p] Worked 10 times[:D][:D]
  • goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    I Like 5.0 gr of Win 231, Winchester primers and Rainier bullets for my plinking ammo.
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by goldeneagle76
    I Like 5.0 gr of Win 231, Winchester primers and Rainier bullets for my plinking ammo.
    If you're talkin in a 45acp, I use the same load and primers but under a Laser-cut 230g lead round nose. flawless
  • Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tried some in a .45colt load for cowboy loads and was pleasantly surprised at how consintant it shot. I fugured that that big old case was a bit much for that powder,but it worked great.
  • fire for effectfire for effect Member Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use 6.2 grains of 231 behind a 230 FMJ.
  • goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    I like 5.0 grains, winchester primers and rainier plated bullets for my target loads of 45ACP. Pretty darn accurate.
  • 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    The 5 grs of 231 is right on, my favorite.
  • tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...I use it in .38 and .357, behind hard cast SWCs. 5.1 gr for about 900 fps or 5.8 gr for 980 fps. Those are from different books, and I suspect that the extra .7 gr results in more velocity spread than that.