In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloading 22 Hornet

CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
How easy of a reload is it? Maybe 45grain bullets.

We have a Savage model 40 in the shop Laminate/stainless. I really like it and the round is just plain neat.
Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.

Comments

• Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cubs,

No harder than any other small centerfire rifle, i.e. .222,, .223. They have a rimmed case is the only real difference....and capacity of course.

There is an issue of making sure you have the .223" or .224" bore. I remember the .22 Hornet that I reloaded for years ago had to use the .223" bullets. Savage should have info on that for that rifle.

Forgot to say, good luck, this is a neat little 150-200 yd case. We killed a lot of jackrabbits with one.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cubslover,

Usually we have universal agreement here on GB that the first thing to do with that rifle is to have it chambered into the K-Hornet. This chambering was created by Lysle Kilbourne and is the best of all worlds when it comes to small, high performance cartridges with a mild temperament.

515550.JPG

Standard Hornet Third from left/ K-Hornet Fourth from left

22 K-Hornet

Historical Notes:

Originated by Lysle Kilbourn in 1940, this was one of the first of the so called "improved" cartridges. It is based on the fire formed and blown out of the 22 Hornet case with a straight body, sharp shoulder and short neck. There are other versions, but this is the most popular and is representative of the lot. It has been used for a good many years and is still popular in varmint shooting circles. Extensive experience with this cartridge in the Thompson Contender show fairly substantial improvements over the 22 Hornet.

General Comments:

The popularity of the 22 K-Hornet was based on increased performance, plus the fact that any regular factory loaded ammunition could also be fired in the same chamber. In addition, the conversion is quite cheap, and any Hornet rifle can be rechambered. Ammunition is no problem because the round is based on easily obtainable factory ammunition. It brings the 22 Hornet into the same class as the 218 Bee with the added advantage that the 22 Hornet was chambered in several good bolt action rifles. It is suitable for the same range of varmints and small game as the 218 Bee. Those lucky enough to find an original Kimber rifle chambered for the 22 K-Hornet can pride themselves in owning a superb rifle.

Source: Cartridges of the World

22 K-Hornet Reloading Data
    Bullet (grs.) Powder / (grs.) MV ME Source
    45SP IMR-4227 / 12.5 2875 825 Ackley
    45SP 2400 / 11.5 2900 840 Ackley
    45 IMR-4198 / 14.5 2800 780 Ackley
    50SP 2400 / 11.0 2700 810 Ackley

Another article:

http://www.gunblast.com/Savage_Model40.htm

http://www.reloadingroom.com/page28.html

http://www.reloadersnest.com/frontpage.asp?CaliberID=13

Best.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another great post NN.

Thanks.

I'll start throwing some extra change aside for one. I'm still waiting on the last gun I ordered.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello one other note is because of the small bolt diameter of most Hornets and the limited room for firing pin spring Many of us have found small pistol primers give better group size in the 22 hornet I also like a boat tail bullet as the case neck wall thickness is very thin and the boattail is eaiser to start into the case mouth. .
  • Options
    laogailaogai Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i've had a 22H for about 10 years and just plain enjoy it. accuracy improved greatly when i had a trigger job and bedding job done on it (Ruger 77/22H). really likes the lighter 33 or 35 grain bullets and 10.5 grains of H110 and small pistol primers as noted above.
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    Cubs - I reload the Hornet for two different Contender barrels. It is a blast to shoot. If you want to get a bunch of load data, e-mail me. I will be happy to share everything that I have.
    Another note, this round does very well if neck sized only. I have a set of LEE collet dies and the rounds that I make are very accurate.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a K-Hornet. It came alive when I started using 13.1 grains of Lil Gun with 45 grain bullets. Using Boat tailed bullets is easier but they did not offer up the top notch accuracy I found with flat based bullets.

It seems to be a trend I have found. The .22 Centerfire calibers I have loaded seem to like 52-53 grain Flat Based bullets over the Boat Tailed versions. Just my observation; you may find diffrent.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I have been reloading .22 Hornet for years now. You can make some very fast custom loads.

The bullet tips are .224 and in weight from 35 grains to 50 grains
    my best round is in using 14 grains of H110 and the Hornady 35 grain V-Max bullet. 3060 FPS launched from a Ruger 77 MKII bench rifle.