In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloading Conundrum II

nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
OK, so I have a 6.5X55 milsurp swedish mauser I reload my brass for. The problem this time is that the shellholder is not, no matter what I do, going all the way to the top. In other words, it does not "bottom out" on the reloading die, meaning the case isn't fully resized/reshaped. I've tried adjusting the die height, adjusting the decapping pin height, removing the decapping pin altogether, everything I can think of. It's not THAT big of a deal. It's just causing my brass to fit really snug/tight in my chamber, much tighter than factory ammo/properly resized ammo. But I'd like to fix it if at all possible so that it's not a struggle to chamber my rounds.

I use the Lee anniversary reloading kit with the Lee RGB dies. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can you get the die to come all the way down to the shellholder (without a round in place) if you remove the die lock ring? You may need a thinner ring. I have had this issue once or twice over the years but I can't remember what calibers or setup they were on.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BHAVIN
    Can you get the die to come all the way down to the shellholder (without a round in place) if you remove the die lock ring? You may need a thinner ring. I have had this issue once or twice over the years but I can't remember what calibers or setup they were on.

I'll try that and get back to you.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BHAVIN

Nope. Not the problem.
  • Options
    788-308788-308 Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try this: Remove the shell holder from the ram, lower the handle.
    Measure the distance from the top of the ram to the lower surface of the press opening. Should be appx. 3 and 7/8 inches.
    Hope this helps.

Edit: the distance was in error originally. Also; with the shell holder in the ram and die removed from press, measuring from flat surface on top of press to the outer rim of the shell holder should be appx. 1.235 inches.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nemesis,

What I'm reading in this is as you set up your die to bottom out on the shellholder, the case, when in the shellholder, doesn't go all the way to the neck. You need another shellholder that is thinner on top so it will push the case further up into the die. Where you need to measure is from the bottom face of the shellholder up to the rim that hits the bottom of the die. A different brand may be what you need. Or the correct brand. Had a few issues with using one RCBS shellholder for all dies when what I really needed was a Lee for Lee and RCBS for RCBS and Redding for Redding. -good luck
  • Options
    GUNFUNCOGUNFUNCO Member Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a problem with some Lee 7.65 Arg dies not sizing my brass enough.

Best bet is to try some RCBS dies. They will do what the Lee will not.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior
    nemesis,

What I'm reading in this is as you set up your die to bottom out on the shellholder, the case, when in the shellholder, doesn't go all the way to the neck. You need another shellholder that is thinner on top so it will push the case further up into the die. Where you need to measure is from the bottom face of the shellholder up to the rim that hits the bottom of the die. A different brand may be what you need. Or the correct brand. Had a few issues with using one RCBS shellholder for all dies when what I really needed was a Lee for Lee and RCBS for RCBS and Redding for Redding. -good luck

I've got a lee die and a lee press, FWIW, so I don't think that's the problem and I'd like to avoid spending more money on a die set I already have.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Could be a bad die. What case lube are you using? I like the Lee Resizing Lubricant in the white and red tube (doesn't kill primers) but when you really are resizing expanded bases the Imperial Sizing Die Wax in the silver tin, green label by Redding is way better stuff. If my rifle has a good chamber ie round with no lumps then I only neck size the brass shot in it. I have seen cases last 50 plus full tilt loading and only to be tossed because of worn out primer pockets.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You could probably machine a small amount off the bottom of the die. I think that is what Lee recommended when I had the problem. Or I could have them make a custom die. I called RCBS and they told me their die would work without any extra machining and guess what, they were correct. That is when I started to lose faith in Lee products.

It could also be that your press has too much spring in it and doesn't have the rigidity to "cam over" enough to force the brass the last bit into the die.

Many people here recommend Lee products because they are inexpensive and they usually work OK. Those of us that have tried the better brands know from our own experience which works better.

When asking for a recommendation from someone, it is best to ask those that have used several of the types of item that you are looking for.

If someone has only driven a Yugo, they may not realize that a Chevrolet is much better. If they drive a Chevrolet, they may not realize that a Mercedes is better and so on. If you ask someone who has owned both, you will probably get a better idea of which is actually better.

As afr as already owning the Lee product, if you bought your Lee dies recently, Lee makes an offer to take their dies back and send you the other brand if you pay the difference. The cost of the dies is probably less than 2 boxes of ammo if you buy quality 6.5 ammo, so why not buy the good stuff?

If you ever have a problem with a RCBS die, even if it is your fault, they will fix them for free. Lee has a one or 2 year warranty. RCBS has a forever one.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    So far as it goes, in dies, I have owned Lee, Hornady, RCBS, Dillon, Lyman, CH4D, and Redding for various calibers. That about covers the gamut I think; and I STILL say that Lee is best, hands down- for DIES.

That said this is a problem that my buddy has had with the same caliber die from Lee (6.5 Swede). Exact problem that you have. My 6.5 Swede dies work fine... could just be the chamber or drawings Lee based their dies off of was slightly out of spec?
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote: quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior

nemesis,

I've got a lee die and a lee press, FWIW, so I don't think that's the problem and I'd like to avoid spending more money on a die set I already have.

Nemesis,

What I was thinking is the shellholder. They are only a few bucks. If you can get to your reloading store see if you can measure the one you have against the one you might want to buy. You certainly shouldn't need a new set of dies.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    On another topic, it sounded like he was having the same kinds of problems with the 30-06.

Maybe it is just the Lee press has too much flex in it. He could turn down the die or as someone else already stated, he could just grind down the top of the shellholder on a flat surface with some emery cloth. Or maybe try his dies in a friends press or vice-versa.

I just know that with my RCBS press and RCBS dies, I haven't had a problem with any of those calibers and I load for 6.5 x 55, 7.65 arg, 30-06, 8mm and a whole pile of others. When I tried Lee, I had a problem.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Update:

I took my die into a gunsmith who put it on his massive Rock Chucker press with a cam over feature. It bottomed out no problem with all the brass I tried in it. That tells me it's not the die's fault, but rather the press. It's an aluminum framed O press that works good on everything else, but for some reason just won't quite go all the way with the 6.5 brass. The table I have isn't the best either, as it "flexes" when the going gets really tough. So, the force that ordinarily would be pushing the brass all the way into the die is instead being expended on flexing the press and the table. My other buddy has a big cast iron Lee press that I'm gonna try out just to make sure. I'll keep you updated.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Interesting. My buddy with the same problem in this caliber has the same press. I would guess perhaps then that Lee really did use a very tight chamber for its die design, and many of us have guns with a more generous web area requiring a lot of force to resize. Still, the Lee O frame challenger's only issue should be in the toggle linkage, not the press frame itself. Interesting.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jonk
    Interesting. My buddy with the same problem in this caliber has the same press. I would guess perhaps then that Lee really did use a very tight chamber for its die design, and many of us have guns with a more generous web area requiring a lot of force to resize. Still, the Lee O frame challenger's only issue should be in the toggle linkage, not the press frame itself. Interesting.

FWIW, the shoulder on the 6.5 is set at a rather steep 25 degrees. By comparison, the .30/06's shoulder is 17.5 degrees. Could this have something to do with the difficulty of getting the brass all the way into the die? That's my father's theory at any rate.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Without sounding too much like "I told you so", -you can pick up used RCBS presses pretty reasonably on ebay and other places. Even the smaller RCBS presses will probably size your brass just fine.

Your Lee press should be OK for handgun loads with carbide dies and other light duty operations. You could also use it for sizing cast bullets and decapping cases, so it is not a total waste.

A sturdy bench will also help some. I built some benches using 2x4's and mounted them to a wall and made a top out of a double layer of the thick pressboard used for countertops. An old, solid wood door would work OK also. I also use a Sears Craftsman workbench with a wood top on a metal frame with drawers on one side. You can mount the press on the other side and it won't interfere with the top drawer. And you can use the drawers to store your dies as well. The craftsman bench can be mounted to the floor for extra strength if you want.