In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rank brass for reloading...

SDeadeyeSDeadeye Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
Specifically .223 brass. I think I remember seeing a post or something on here before about the different brands of brass and which are better for reloading. But, I've looked and looked and can't find anything. So, what say you experts? Which headstamps are the ones to look for. FC? WCC? LC? PMC? All the other ones that I can't think of?

Comments

• Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SDeadeye,

I know a ot of folks prefer the LC over anything else. I personally like Win brass for my bolt action in .223. As for my AR, I'm partial to anything that functions in it.
  • Options
    SDeadeyeSDeadeye Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's what I've heard too, I'm just looking to reload for my AR. But, I've also heard that FC brass is softer and worse for reloading, and other stuff like that. I'm hoping to get to the gun show in town this weekend so I'm just trying to find out if there is anything that would be a better deal than others.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Federal 223 brass is JUNK!!! I don't even bother to pick it up. When I started to reload for AR'S I bought 1000rds of IMI brass, that I don't think is around anymore.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I usually use LC when I can get it. I also use some Winchester but mostly for my bolt guns just to keep it seperated easier. I have reloaded thousands of rounds of FC brass for AR and M16's with no problems. I use a Dillon swager with the LC and FC (as most of the FC American Eagle is coming with a primer crimp)so that really isn't an issue for me but swaging your primer pocket is an extra step that you won't have with Winchester commercial brass like you do with Military barss like LC, WCC, and most PMC and FC fmj ammo.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mil-5.56 brass in a .223 chamber-Bad
    .223 Brass in a Mil 5.56 chamber-OK

Flame on-[:D][;)]
    http://www.saami.org/Unsafe_Combinations.cfm
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FrancF
    Mil-5.56 brass in a .223 chamber-Bad
    .223 Brass in a Mil 5.56 chamber-OK

Flame on-[:D][;)]

Outside of that, Lake City is great brass for Semi-autos that run a 5.56
    chamber

If your running a bolt gun chambered in .223 Lapua, Norma, is #1 but at $$.