In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.308 twist rate

B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
This is also posted in the experts forum:
All of the major (and some minor) rifle manufacturers are exactly evenly split on the twist rate used in their versions of whatever model .308 rifle they offer. I don't know weather to go with a 1/12 or 1/10 twist in a custom barell. The finished rifle will weigh 3 ounces either way from 5 1/2 pounds and be used primarily for shooting deer sized game, meaning bullets wil be a maximum weight of 165 gr. That said, I am leaning to a 1/12 twist, realizing, of course, that a heavier bullet than that would benefit from a faster twist.
Anyone wishing to add their 2c is welcome to do so. Be nice now! Thanks guys. RLTW

Comments

• Options
    ArkyJackArkyJack Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi
    My Remington 600 in .308 uses a 1 in 12 twist, and does good with 180 grain bullets.
    ArkyJack
  • Options
    WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Speaking strictly from guns I have owned and not to suggest it is a rule the 1/12 308s I have had seemed to handle up to 180 fine and while the 1/10 were better with heavier bullets they were not near as good with lighter ones so, IMO, for a hunter I would opt for 1/12.
    I would, in your case prefer a 150gr bullet as that gun is light and shot placement might be more consistent without shoulder killing eye flinching recoil.

All no more than IMO

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the 1:12 for .308 and 30-06. Better long range accuracy with bullets up to 180 and accurate enough with heavier bullets if you really need them.
  • Options
    fire for effectfire for effect Member Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The one in ten twist was designed for the 220 grain bullet of the 30'03 Cartridge. When the cartridge was changed in 1906 to the 30'06 the bullet weight was changed, but the specs for the rifling twist never were. It is a point of interest that in the Fn/Fal, the rifling twist is one turn in eleven inches. designed for the Nato round and a bullet of 147 grains in weight.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My choice stay with 1/12 up to 175 grains. Anything after that for the bullet weight go .30-06. Ballistics's wise (and I am a .308 Fan) 180 gr. to me is "fat" bullet. thats riding on the edge of performance and is a slug.
    IMOP[:)]