In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.338 RUM vs. .300 RUM

akadye006akadye006 Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
Just wondering if anyone can give a few pointers on which one of these cartridges to go with... I am looking to get a rifle in one of these chamberings and want one that will perform long shots and also deadly ones.

Just looking for someone's insight... Also any reloading advisories, or defects that may be known, I would appreciate any information...

Thanks.
-Brandon

Comments

• JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How large a game and/or what distances. Both are great rounds, and brass is much cheaper than their "hybrid" counterparts. I run a 300RUM in a 1000yd Light Gun (not next time though,..too much torque, too much powder capacity). I have a project going in 338RUM that was basicaly a throw together of free parts on a weatherby MK V action I had laying around. Trying to get it to feed and extract from an original action that was in 257wthby has proven to be HUGE P.I.T.A. and it is not known weather it will ever operate correctly, so I can't offer any real experience with that one. (been 2+ yrs and still not functional)

Your purpose for the round and the game size will determine what to choose. The 338RUM will keep the throat longer due to the larger bore dia if barrel life is a concern, however the RUM and bore life aren't exactly in sinc with one another.
  • joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brandon, I reload the .300 RUM and would say for most of what you would care to hunt the .300 RUM should do very well. I have also found loading the round down to 165 gr. the felt recoil is similar to 30-06 with amazing groups (smallest measured .3 in) in my model 700 Remington with 26in barrel. I tried different loads to match the factory reduced loads and feel I have a winner. Also when the need arises, I can load the 180, 200, or 225 gr to match the condition I may encounter. I have only shot the .300 but for as far as Pa. whitetail I have dropped two doe without as much as a step being taken from either. I tend to believe it's (forgive me for saying this) but too much for any whitetail. Just my .02!