In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Lee Auto Disk powder measure

Am I alone in thinking that the disks work better than the adjustable charge bar for this powder measure? I tried the charge bar and could not get it to work correctly. I replaced it with one of the disks and it worked perfectly. I am using Win231 powder and loading 45ACP with Rainier. Luckily one of the disks had the .46 sized holes and I can get 4.9gr in the load. I wanted 5 grains but am will to settle.

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello I have been loading Match 45ACP Pistol ammo for 35 + years I use Star reloaders .But have both adjustable and fixed powder bars. I do a lot of testing on a ransom rest and to work up the best "SMALLEST GROUP SIZE " loads with any one lot of powder I use the adjustable bar. You can change it without dumping the powder out of the measuring reservoir. Even with the same brand & type of powder you may have to vary the load slighty between lot numbers. When I find the right load I go with the fixed bar It throws a more uniform amount and there is no worry that the adjustment could slip during loading a large amount of ammo.
  • ZinderblocZinderbloc Member Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been using the Lee Auto Disk powder measure for 15+ years, and will probably never change to another type.

The Lee throws uniform charges and is quick-and-easy to change. My only comment is that the chart Lee includes is too conservative when it come to charge weights. I allow for this in my reloads, so it's no big deal.
  • CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
    HAS ANYONE HAD A LEE POWDER MEASURE WITH THE ADJ CHARGER SKIP A CHARGE. WAS LOADING 45ACP WITH ACC #2, WHEN I COUGHT IT I BROKE THE PRESS ALL DOWN AND CHECKED FOR TROUBLE BUT DID NOT FIND ANYTHING,DISK MOVED FREELY CHAIN WAS INTACK POWDER HAD NO CLUMPS. ANY IDEAS HERE.THIS ALSO HAPPEN YEARS AGO ON 9MM USEIND DISKS. I LOST TRUST IN THE UNIT AND STARTED USEING THE UNIFLOW, NOW I TRIED IT AGAIN AND STILL HAVE SOME SKIPS.[B)]
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I had a Lee with the adjustable charge bar and it would jump up and catch on the resovoir and not pick up the powder. It cost me a Douglas bbl. in my Bill Oglesby built 1911 when we had a class with about 20 shooters on the line and I didn't catch the pop of the primer. I did the "tap-rack" procedure and when I got the bang it split the barrel from the chamber to the bushing in all grooves.
    The junk Lee went down the road and was replaced with Dillons.

Goldeneagle is talking about the adjustable charge bar, NOT THE DISCS.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I load several thousand handgun rounds every year with a Lee autodisc measure and haven't had any problems. As was already stated, the chart is kind of conserative, and I allow for that. It serves my needs fine, and cost 1/5 what a Dillon does. For what it's worth.
    W.D.