In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

44 Brass

csteinhcsteinh Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
I just picked up a 29 Smith. I plan to reload for target shooting with a jacketed bullet (probably 180 - 200 grains) around 800 fps. The indoor range I shoot at requires jacketed bullets otherwise I would use lead.

Are light loads more accurate out of 44 special brass? The crud build up at the end of the 44 special brass is a concern. My inclination is to use 44 mag brass so that concern goes away. Is my concern serious enough to worry about it?

Any advice on bullet/powder combination is also appreciated.

Cort

Comments

• Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMHO stick with 44mag brass, This load is from Lyman's 48th edition, it is a 44mag load. 10.5 gr Unique powder, 200gr Jacketed hollow point, large pistol primer, 1.610 OAL = 905 FPS, Lymans manual suggests this combo as "potentially must accruate load" for this weight and type of bullet. I shoot this load out of my gun and can get sub 1 1/2" groups off bag open sites at 50ft
  • Options
    wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agree. Stick with the longer brass & load it down to the velocity that you desire. Be sure to use faster powders for the light loads. Unique is a good one to try.
  • Options
    coledigger4coledigger4 Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nothing to do with reloading but does your Model 29 have rubber grips? If not, would you be interested in a set of Pachmeyer grips for free? I tried to sell them but didn't get any bids, no reserve even, so if you want them let me know.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would and do stick with 44 mag brass. You might look at Hodgdon Titegroup powder. We have had great luck with it and it is made to not be position sensitive which is a great asset in big cases. It is cheaper than most other powders and you can load most pistol rounds with it. It is not meant for hot loads but for medium to low velocity.