In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lee single stage, Challenger or Classic Cast?

non mortuusnon mortuus Member Posts: 649 ✭✭✭✭
I'm looking for a simple single stage press to 'learn the basics' on. I'm a bit confused about the difference is between a Lee Callenger Press and a Lee Classic Cast, the both look about the same to me.
Is there a size / strength difference in the too that would account for the price difference or am I missing something else?[?][?]

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    The Classic cast is made of cast iron, with a much more robust construction and design, especially on the handle and transfer system It also features a tube to drop empty primers into a bucket below. The O frame Challenger is made of (I think) aluminum and has a notoriously problematic linkage on the handle that often shears (as it is made of pot metal). That said, the linkage in question is the only weak point of the Challenger design, and I've broken one over several tens of thousands of rounds. For light to medium duty I would go with the cheaper Challenger any day. For heavy duty or magnums, I would go with the Classic Cast- which is if anything beefier than the much-touted RCBS Rockchucker, and a fraction of the price.

BTW, I own a Lee C frame, Challenger, Classic cast, RCBS Rockchucker, and Lee Pro 1000 so I feel qualified to comment on them all.
  • Options
    flyingtorpedoflyingtorpedo Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I too am looking to learn how to reload and I've heard decent things about the lee anniversary kit with the challenger press. Cheap, decent, and has almost everything you need to see if you are going to like it and to see if it would be worth upgrading. The cheapest I've been able to find is $70 on Cabelas. Think I'm going to ask santa for one myself. Best of luck!
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Challenger that I have used and abused for about 20 years with no problems.I bought a Classic Cast about a year ago because it is a heavier,stronger press and if anyone but Lee sold it,a press of that quality would cost at least three times the price.
  • Options
    SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Was at a friends house and he had about 10 of the Lee single stages setup permantly for different rounds. Sure makes it easier. Said they sell for only about $20 a piece.
  • Options
    jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D]-I've got a Lee Classic, I've been using for YEARS and evidentaly, the only weak part you'll find in this one, is your mounting set-up--

--A little dab of light grease on the Shaft, now and then and you can't go wrong--

--[:D][:D]--JIMBO