In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lead bullets?

The DutchmanThe Dutchman Member Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭
I am planning to start casting some bullets. I heard that some/many/all indoor ranges have banned all-lead bullets. Any input?

Comments

• Options
    Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not only that, a lot of ranges won't let you shoot your reloads! :(

but you can shoot theirs,loaded by who knows!!
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My dad started casting lead bullets in the late 60's. We still cast some today but only for a few calibers. If you are casting wheel weights it isn't so bad but other ingredients such as bar solder are hard to find and along with lead pretty exspensive now. In my opinion I don't think you are saving a whole bunch like we used to be able to. It is a lot of fun. Many indoor ranges don't have good filtration so shooting lead is just asking for trouble. A good filtration system is exspensive.
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are shooting only at indoor ranges it could be a problem,but if most of your shooting is outside it keeps shooting cost down. I've been back into casting for about 5 yrs now,I cast and size, my son loads. A 50 round box of 45 ACP cost $3.00,last time we priced the 30-06 50 rds/$12.00. I use wheel weights and once in a while I'll add linotype to get a harder bullet for bench rest shooting. It saves a lot on ammo, just make sure you do it in a well ventilated area,I cast in my garage with all doors and windows open and an exhaust fan going.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello as Brier stated outdoor ranges at gun clubs are great places to shoot lead bullets. When I first started shooting Bulls-Eye I cast many thousands of bullets with H&G 4 cavity mold blocks LINOTYPE was $.25 a pound Then we found we could buy great quality bullets from folks like STAR, ZERO and others for just slightly over $3.00 a hundred The last 20,000 I bought were $4.15 a hundred in 2005. It was not worth the time and effort to cast at these prices. But [V][xx(] Star has since closed up shop. I think many people will look at free wheel weights in the coming years and compare with STORE BOUGHT ammo and casting bullets will come back in popularity . As a side note I get about 100K rounds out of my 45ACP wad guns before I need to change barrels[:p] shooting lead pistol bullets. I have never shot that many Jacketed bullets so can't compare life of barrel lead VS jacket but would be surprised to get 100K from a jacketed bullet barrel. Your mileage may vary.