In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bushell 4200 8x32x40

telkevtelkev Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
Does anyone have any experience with this scope? I need a new scope for my 223, and I have been thinking of getting one of these. I cannot find one locally so I can inspect it so I have decided to ask for opinions. I bought a bushnell 3200 3x9x40 for my daughters hunting rifle and I was impressed with the clarity and brightness that it had. But I would like to know how the clarity is on one that has higher magnification, how well the target turrets track, overall impression, etc. Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the Bushnell Elite series scopes which means something because I hate to buy Japanese anything. They have a new 6x24x40 scope out with side focus. I looked at one at Bass Pro a few weeks ago. I was really impressed, compact, sharp, and clear. I wanted to put one on my 300 wsm but I knew 6x on the low side was to high for what I will be doing so I bought the 2.4x10x40 and I like it a lot. I found out on a Canada bear hunt how useful the rain guard is when my brother in law had it and I didn't.

Bass Pro wanted $599 for the 6x24x40 with the side focus I found it online at www.bearbasin.com That's Bear Basin Outfitters, for $489 the scope you are asking about has adjustable objective 8x32x40 is $449.

I haven't used the scope you are asking about but this is my 2cents anyway.

I just read an article in one of the hunting magazines where they tested new scopes, new this year. The 6x24x40 with side focus was named best of the best over some more expensive models. Of course that is just their opinion and only includes new prducts.

good luck

Scout
  • Options
    billingham420billingham420 Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got 3 4200's, and love 'em all: a 8-32 on a 22-250, and it is just magnificent... for varmints and paper; a 6-24 on my 223, also just right for varmints and paper, albeit at a lesser range; and a 2.5-10 on my 7-08 for deer & etc., hunting. I've also got a Weaver V16 (4-16) on a 243, and it is just right for various kinds of hunting with that gun, and a predecessor B&L 4200 2.5-10 on a 30-06.

Message here is to try to match the scope to the anticipated use of the gun. If I had to choose just one size for all guns and all uses, I would pick one in the 2-10 range as a best compromise. Next would be a 4-16, which I dearly love for longer range use.

Over the past few years, I have screwed around with a lot of lesser scopes, and learned my lesson: go with the best. Stick with the first class stuff: e.g., 3200/4200's, mid-range ($-wise)Leupolds, and Nikons. I've never had a bad one. The rest are either merely adequate, or just not worth the aggravation, or just not worth the extra money. Pay a little more, get a lot more. On the other hand, you don't have to pay $100-1500 for quality!!