In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

32 H&R 100 gr loads - hot

wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
I have a FA M97 in 32 H&R. Have been shooting Black Hills factory ammo & it shoots nicely. However, the BH load is 85 gr @ 1170. With this very strong platform I am wanting to move to 100 gr XTP or Speer with a velocity closer to 1400. Anyone had any experience with this caliber in a strong revolver?

Would welcome your experiences or thoughts. Objective is accuracy for shooting metal targets @ 75 to 150 yds.

Comments

• Options
    dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wTroper

This might be one of the times your tag line does not apply.

These metal targets conform to any particular course of fire, ie. hunters pistol etc.

Do you know what it is like to hit a Ram and not have it fall.

Why 75 and 150 yards, it has been a decade since I shot metallic silloettes.

1400fps with 110 gr bullet was within reach with a blackhawk in .30 carbine.

The same is a little scary in the .32 H&R because you could put it in an H&R that was not up to the over spec. pressure

Tim
  • Options
    edited November -1
    dtknowles --- this is a private shooting range of ours. Swinging metal targets shaped like small animals, rectangles, diamonds, etc. Size ranges from 8"x10" rectangles to as small as 1 1/2" diamonds. Most targets are 60-100 yds. Few are 125+. We shoot scoped revolvers just for fun. This 32 H&R is my lady's gun. She does very well out to about 80 yds with it. Moving out further, the factory load is dropping some on her.

Paco Kelly, among others, has loaded this cartridge (and the 32-20) up to close to 1500. Just curious if anyone here had any experience. I would not try to move it up the that velocity if I were not very confident in the strength of the FA revolver.
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    wtroper - While I do not have any personal experience with the 32 H&R, I know quite a few guys who may.

Go to www.ihmsa.net and post on the forum there. I am sure that someone will have a load for you.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks handgunhtr. I have registered there. Will ask on that forum.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Handgunhtr --- Thanks for the tip on the other forum. Think I have found some useful info there. FYI --In addition, Jeff Quinn shared his pet load for the 32. Just need to load 'em up & try it.
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wtroper
    Handgunhtr --- Thanks for the tip on the other forum. Think I have found some useful info there. FYI --In addition, Jeff Quinn shared his pet load for the 32. Just need to load 'em up & try it.

You are quite welcome. My screen name over there is Mikkel52. I don't post much, but the admin of the site shoots at the same range that I shoot matches at. They are a great group of guys and when it comes to shooting handguns at steel, they have all the knowledge that you could possibly want and they will share with anyone.