In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hollywood Sr Reloading Press

Fairlane66Fairlane66 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭
When I was a kid, my grandfather taught me to reload using his Hollywood Sr. reloading press. We turned out some awesome loads for our Winchester Model 70s and shot a lot of groundhogs in western Pennsylvania. I have fond memories of those times with grandpa. When he died, I inherited all is reloading gear including the press, but soon joined the military and the stuff has been in boxes for almost 30 years. Now that I'm retired from the military and settling down, I want to start loading my own ammo again.

Here are my questions. I believe the Hollywood press I have is in pretty good shape, except for some of the krinkle-finish paint coming off. The press is compatable with most die sets and accessories. Would I be better off with a more modern setup or should I stick with the Hollywood? Are there any problems or drawbacks associated with the Hollywood Senior press? I've also heard there's a collector's market for the old Hollywood presses. Would I be better off passing this press to a collector and using more modern gear? Finally, can I send the press anywhere to have it reconditioned? I've heard there's a Hollywood Engineering in California that is the ancestor of the old Hollywood Gun Shop, but I cannot get them to answer the phone numbers I've found on the Internet (818-504-4168).

Would like to hear responses to my questions or anyone's general thoughts on the Hollywood Sr press. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Fairlane66Fairlane66 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bad choice of words.....Hollywood Engineering is supposed to be the successor, not the ancestor to the old Hollywood Gun Shop.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello 66 Fairlane. You can buy KRINKLE finish paint. and refurb yourself. Yes there is some collector interest on some types of reloading equipment and if you want production a Dillon is hard to beat because of their customer support But I ask you why not keep this old Hollywood . I would love to have a mementoe of great times with my Grandfather. plus when you have your shooting buddies over you can show them one of the biggest "built like a tank" reloading presses ever made who knows you might want to load 50cal BMG ammo.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    There a couple for sale on CommiEbay. The prices are not that high. If I were you I would hang on to it for the memories it gives you.
  • Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    i to have a older hollywood press and 6 or 7 newer presses including 2 progrusives (hornedy pro-77 and a dillon 450-B) your hollywood is as good as any made today, the only thing i did was to buy a adapter to use RBCS type shell holders. eastbank.