In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

primers-group size

joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
Has anyone tried different primers and found a difference in group sizes. All things being equaled, not a mag primer vs. standard but pure apples to apples, wincester,rem. federal, etc. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    I found that the 205 federals produced a better group than the fed 205 match primers did in my .223 and they also had less deviation in velocity only 11 fps vs. 19 with the 205 match [;)]
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Not only do different brands give different results but different LOT No. of the same brand give different results in at least my Ransom Rest testing at 50 yards with 45acp pistol loads.
  • Options
    greyghosttgreyghostt Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    not to give a short answer but; YES!
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    joes,

Yes, I find that the velocity variation they cause gives a different harmonic vibration down the barrel. I have sometimes had that with the same powder loads and two different primer types one became more accurate than the other as I worked up loads. Even though as velocity increased equally with each load, one brand remained 30-50 fps slower than the other. When I switched to a slower powder accuracy went back to the faster primer.