In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.308 vs. 7mm 08

kehlahkehlah Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
hello how are all of you doing?
my question is about the .308 and the 7mm 08.
my purpose is wanting a high powered rifle meant to be fast, accurate, and no problem with power. i want to basically have the ultimate sniper rifle which is still legal. if any of you would be kind as to help me out with your knowledge. i would very much appreciate it. thank you!

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    The 7mm-08 is just the 308-7.62mm, necked down to 7mm. The 7mm-08 probably shoots a little flatter with lighter bullets.
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    I love the 7mm-08, but the 308 is the standard that all other cartriges are judged on. One of the great things about the 308 is the price of ammo, do to the low cost you can shoot more, try that with a 7mm-08. here is a little something to read:
    http://www.6mmbr.com/308win.html
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    There is an illegal sniper rifle?

To answer your question, the best caliber for a sniper-type rifle is .416 or .50 caliber. If you live in Kommiefornia, then the .50 is out. If you want to build a tactical rifle in a commercial caliber, the best one is probably the .300 Winchester Mag.
    If you want to stay with a short action, then go with the .308 or .300 WSM.

Welcome to the forums! Keep your head up, as it gets kinda deep around here sometimes.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    kehlah,

The 7mm-08 is the .308 necked down to 7mm. About the same case capacity.

The big advantage is a 7mm anything has a better selection of ballisticly efficient bullets at lower weights than does the .308. But you HAVE to handload to get that advantage. It is therefore somewhat(not completely) easier to push a 7mm bullet faster and flatter than a .308. Typically you can load a .308 to a little faster muzzle velocity than you can a 7mm-08 out of comparable actions and barrels with equal weight bullets. However, the efficiency(higher BC) of a 7mm will take that speed advantage away over a distance of around 300 yds. Once it catches up to, it then surpasses the .308 bullet very well.

The overall synopsis is that if you plan on shooting within 500 yds. the advantage goes to the .308. If you shoot between 500-600 yds. it's about a horse apiece. 600 and beyond out to where the better 7mm go subsonic is where the 7mm-08 will beat the .308.

The biggest thing I see you needing to do is look into a purpose built rifle. A short barrel on either one isn't going to get you the distance you need. Just not enough velocity. Savage has come out with what they call the F/TR class rifle. You can get it in .308 or 6.5-.284(which is better than either the .308 or 7mm-08). For under a grand you can have an outstanding shooting rifle. Don't forget that you a going to need a very good piece of glass sitting on top of that rifle. You can't hit it if you can't see it.

And FWIW you may be wise to have a long range shooter before they get outlawed.
    -Hope that helps.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    30-06; Bullets from 100 to 250 grains and does everything the 308 does and more.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To achieve the "ultimate" you will have to go to a much bigger bullet. 338 Lupua, 408 Cheytac, 50BMG, all of which are superior to standard rifle calibers but are very pricey and only show a distinct advantage past 600 yards or on armored targets. The advantage of the 308/3006 is cost and practicality and the fact that most shooters can't hit anything that far out anyway.
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    One more advantage the 7-08 has is that it isn't a military caliber, which can cause issues if you take your rifle to hunt out of the US (Mexico, etc).