In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What are you paying for lead shot?

ladamsladams Member Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭
I just wanted to see what everyone was paying for lead shot these days. Local price here is $49.99 a bag, which is seriously cutting into my shooting. At that price it is almost the same price if I buy a case of cheap shells to shoot, for now at least until they raise them a few more times.

Comments

• BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Until about a month ago it was $29.99 and then in one day it jumped to $39.99. I can buy loaded promo ammo quite a bit cheaper. Sad, I would much rather shoot my own loads. To think I was upset when shot went up from $12.00 a bag to $14.00 a few years ago. I thought 200 lbs would last a long time.
  • geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    $34/bag here in NE OH at Gander Mt. Not sure the date of the stock.
  • ladamsladams Member Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where in NE Ohio? I am in NE Ohio too and have not seen less than 50.
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by geeguy
    $34/bag here in NE OH at Gander Mt. Not sure the date of the stock.

Same here.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • ladamsladams Member Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Went to my local gander mountain, and as usual everything was way over priced. Shot was 50 a bag for chilled 58 for magnum. 250 Remington wads were 15 dollars, and primers were 35 bucks a thousand. Needless to say I bought NOTHING from these greedy morons. I cannot wait for cabelas to open up 15 miles from me..... bye bye gander mountain.
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I haven't bought any in a few years, as I only go through about 100 12 ga. rounds a year, and only need to buy some every few years. Last I bought some it was $15.... in about 2005. SO that's what I last PAID- what I last SAW it at was $49.
  • geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    Sorry guys. After reading your comments I went back to Gander Mt. in Mentor, and in just a few weeks it is $49+ (stated they would be going to $52). I just got the last of their old stock, and didn't realize it was moving up that fast.

So the $34 is no good any more. Again, sorry for mis-leading you all.
  • dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Spot price for lead is currently $1.67 per pound more than twice what is was a year ago. That means that the lead in a 25 pound bag of shot could cost $41.65. I expect that the ammo companies buy there lead at lower than spot price but not much. They are using lead they bought months if not years ago depending on how smart they were. The tin, antimony, arsenic all cost more than lead so for hard shot the cost of the metal content is even higher. Then there are manufacturing, transportation costs plus profit by manufacturer, wholesaler and retailer. Shot at less than $60 per 25 pound bag is a deal.

.22 rimfire bullets at 40 grains and $1.67 per pound means the lead in one round of .22 LR costs a penny so the cheap .22 LR ammo had to go up in price.

Tim
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    $39.99 up here on the left coast, me and Big Foot are both buying the cheap stuff at Wall Mart.
    W.D.