In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

want to get my son into sport shooting

callktulucallktulu Member Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
My 9yo really likes guns and shooting, and I'd like to get him involved with competition shooting. I'm trying to find clubs in my area, but apparently my internet searches are coming up short, or maybe I'm using the wrong key words. We live in the Middle Georgia area, so we don't have major cities (except maybe Macon) to choose from. Anyone know of any local clubs?

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Search for "Jr Rifle" GA .
    Also, if you have any "Sportsman Clubs" in your area, they should be able to direct you.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    callktulu - How far are you from Griffen, GA? The reason that I ask is that we have an IMHSA competition there on the third Saturday of every month. We shoot small bore and field pistol. There is a Junior division as well.
    We shoot handguns at steel targets, but for kids we usually let them shoot the small bore (.22) line with rifles if they are not comfortable with handguns.
    Also, most of the time, we let the kids shoot for free. For adults, your first line is free after that it is $5 per round. The rounds usually take about 30-45 minutes, so you can reasonably get a full days shooting in for around $20. Lunch is provided and the people are great! There is no need to have specialized equipment. Most of the time, anybody will offer to let you shoot their guns if you do not have one or wish to try something different.
    If you want more information, visit these sites:

http://www.knology.net/~gaihmsa/

http://www.ihmsa.org/
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Handgun,

We are actually closer to Warner Robins, so Griffin is quite a ways to go. However, we might still check it out. Thanks for the info!![8D]
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can't help, but I want to wish you good luck with your son. What kind of shooting are you interested in getting him into? Handgun, rifle, shotgun, all of the above?

In our defensive pistol league, a gentleman brings in his three daughters to shoot the matches. Ages 14 - 12 - 10. They have been coming in for about a year now. At first they were all pretty slow, but they have been getting better and better all the time. (isn't that the objective?) The 14 year old is getting to where she places in the middle of the list (results) on a regular basis. The other two have improved IMMENSELY.

We have a boy that started when he was about 13. He is 16 now, and placed first in the class he was shooting in, a couple of months ago. (he was shooting against adults too) We usually don't hand out trophies until the end of the year, he got one that day.

It does this old heart good to see the kids getting involved. Kids ARE our future. WTG to you, callktulu.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'd like to get him involved in either air rifle/rifle or handgun, as that's what he's already familiar with. However, I'm finding out that pretty much everything nearby is shotgun/skeet.
  • Options
    smoke cloudsmoke cloud Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not familiar with any clubs in your area that have rifle and pistol ranges. I shoot competition skeet and know there are several good clubs in your area. check out the link below, it might help you with some further contacts.

http://www.claytargetsonline.com/list.php/GA

I am a member at River Bend Gun Club in Dawsonville. This club has many members that are active in pistol and rifle shooting/competition. If you check out the club's website, www.rbgc.org, you can find the contact info for the different range officers and I am certain they would know of the closest or best venue for you and your son.
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most of the VFW's in the country are allied with a local shooting program and host indoor airgun shoots. This is a good first step.Check with the local VFW or American Legion post. Go on here to find the closest one.
    http://www.legion.org/?content=post_locator
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    If he is involved with the boy scouts, see if they still have the "junior olympic shooting camp" program - I spent a few weeks at Camp Blanding down here in N Florida learning to do small bore rifle work from a recently retired Marine colonel.. of course, that was 22 years ago...
  • Options
    owen219owen219 Member Posts: 3,799
    edited November -1
    Your local 4-H agricultural clubs usually provide an opportunity for youth shooting, if you have them there. Contact your county agricultural extension agency for information. If your county does not have a 4-H club you might find an adjacent county that does. The advantage is the focus on youth of his age group, many other activities he might be interested in and you can be with him as a volunteer (coach or advisor) for his chosen activities. If they do not offer the shooting sport you can volunteer to get it started. I am sure you would find others in the group interested in starting up the shooting activity. The kids get a whole lot of recognition through their projects/participation in 4-H and this provides the ongoing encouragement and improvement. 4-H also promotes good moral character for youth. The National Rifle Association has big budgets for youth training and shooting too. You might research the NRA for their activites in your area also. If they do not have something in your area you might find their support in getting something started. Best of luck! owen219